Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

How do we set a "keep" or "preserve" attribute to a wire, from QSF or without modifying the code?

Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

How do we set a "keep" or preserve attribute to a wire in my design, from QSF without modifying the code?

Quartus 19.4 have PRESERVE_REGISTER setting, but for registers. What I would like to place attribute is on a wire. The wire name is getting changed due to packing/merging to LUTs and other combo nets.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Yes. The attribute preserve is supported through HDL only.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible without using a synthesis attribute in the code. However, have you tried preserving the registers before or after the logic where you're seeing the name changes?

And if you don't want the packing and merging you mention to occur at all, look at some of the logic options/assignments that start with "Auto" that might prevent the changes from happening.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

@sstrell​ it did not work as expected. Also since the design is large, there are multiple registers on either side of the node. it is hard to put preserve on those every registers.

I was wondering why Quartus do not support this feature, while they support it through HDL modification.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Yes. The attribute preserve is supported through HDL only.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY