Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How do you access live data from an Altera MAX 10 FPGA's built in ADC as a block diagram within Quartus?

PRiva1
Beginner

Hi, I have an Altera MAX 10 FPGA and am trying to use the built in adc. More specifically, I have an analog signal connected to the ADC1IN6 input. I followed video tutorials which show the Altera ADC Core with PLL combination in order to create an instance of an ADC. Unfortunately, I can't seem to understand how to get the live 12-bit digital data of the analog signal. How can I access these bits using a block diagram for example? Do I need to send a specific command to the ADC in order to start reading data? I am very new to FPGA design and the Quartus software, so the more specific the answer, the better.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you looking for ADC data for post processing?

Please check below link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7y5ZR1E8SU

I can't seem to understand how to get the live 12-bit digital data of the analog signal. How can I access these bits using a block diagram for example?

>>You can get access to ADC digital data by using some logic. use IP's or custom IP.

Do I need to send a specific command to the ADC in order to start reading data?

>> No,

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
PRiva1
Beginner

Thanks so much for the response.

I have looked at that video and am very confused by it because it says to code a sequencer block at 3:59, but I'm assuming I should be able to get the ADC up and running without doing this?

This is where I am at:

I've verified that my ADC works because I've attached my .sof file to the System Console - ADC Toolkit (Beta) 0 and I can see the Oscilloscope react to my analog signal changes. Now I want to take that ADC and use it in a simple block diagram attached to some LEDs (or find a way to test it using signal tap). In QSYS, I expect that I should export "response" as this is where my data is located? I seem to get no data in this response though.

My ADC works perfectly in the System Console, how can I just get this data as 12 wires in a block diagram?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Sorry for the delay,

You can access 12-bit ADC data with help of NIos II  and PIO IP's with software help.

With the help of Niso ii you can read the ADC data and put it on to PIO.

When you create the system with above IP's you can see the bdf with 12-bit data out.

Refer below link for the  example.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/16.0.0/Standard/adc-data-capture-with-nios-ii-processor/

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos