Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gyuunyuu
New Contributor I

How does Quartus know what is voltage on each FPGA I/O bank?

It is possible to connect different voltages to each bank of an FPGA. The I/O standard of the pins on the FPGA relies on what bank voltage has been connected to it.

Now my questions are:

1. How does Quartus know what voltage is connected to the banks?

2. If Quartus does not know the voltage on the banks, how does it know what I/O standard can be applied on the I/O pins?

3. What constraints exist on what voltage can be supplied to the banks in an FPGA?

I am using a MAX10 10M50DAF device. However, a general purpose answer is preferred on this website.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for using out Intel® FPGA. That can all be done by using tools in  Intel® Quartus®. Everything is done manually where you decide the I/O Standard of your design and then there will be a value(s) of voltage that is allowed on that particular I/O Standard that you have set. 

You can refer to document from this link on page 9: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_gpio.pdf

Like example from the table on page 9: If you pick 3.3V LVCMOS you are allowed to put 3.3V/3.0V/2.5V for Vccio input and 3.3V output. There is no guarantee that you device will be okay if you set beyond the recommended voltage from the document above. 

I hope this answer helps. 

Thank you.

gyuunyuu
New Contributor I

Please check the attached image. It shows the available options for the pin I/O standards. The options are all over the place.

If Quartus knew that my I/O bank was lets say at 3.3V, it won't show me all those 1.0V and 2.5V options in the drop down menu. Do you understand my question now?

sstrell
Honored Contributor II

If you select an invalid I/O standard voltage for your device, you'll get an error during compilation.

gyuunyuu
New Contributor I

How does it know if it is invalid? I never told it what voltage supply I connected to the bank to begin with.

There is no option where we can specify what voltage supply is connected per bank on the FPGA. 

None.

AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It will be invalid if your setting does not meet the specifications of the device. We have a lot of tutorial videos about using Quartus on our Intel FPGA Youtube channel. Here is the video about Chip Planner in Quartus Prime Pro Software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt-yDRReKZw

Thanks

AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Is all of your questions addressed? I will need to close this case if there is no update from you in 3 days.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
gyuunyuu
New Contributor I

Please clarify what part of the video are referring to in your previous message. Also, is a valid input simply what the FPGA pins can handle or what is actually a function of the bank voltage? If the I/O bank is supplied by 3.3V supply then the pin planner should not even show the option to specify a 1.8V I/O standard for any pin on it. I don't think this is how pin planner works.

AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The video that I shared with you is just an overview of how Chip Planner work on Intel Quartus software. We have a lot of selections of FPGAs and different I/O Standards  thus Quartus show a lot of I/O standards options. However, you can only set specifications based on I/O Standards that you pick on your design or else you will receive errors. To answer your question, the valid input is what the FPGA pins can handle on the specified I/O Standards. I hope this answer your question.

Thank you.

GLees
New Contributor I

To New Contributor I,

In the Pin Planner you specify what voltage goes to each I/O bank.  This is done on a pin-by-pin basis.  It will give you a (compilation) error if you specify pins with two different voltages on the same bank.  It's up to you to connect the correct voltage to each I/O bank on your circuit board.

AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.