Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

How to add a qip file to project using Makefile

Joakim
Novice

I like to have the project file untouched unless I make an active decision to add something, so I create the project file using make.

The first instance of the project file is created by quartus_map and I can later add pin declarations etc using quartus_sh.

But I have not found a good way to add an IP block, qip-file, to the project in time since quartus_map need all files to be available.

How can I solve this?

I'm currently using:

quartus_map project_name --analysis_and_elaboration --family=... -f sourcefiles.args

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Joakim
Novice

I found out that I can create a qsf/project file by first creating an empty file followed by quartus_sh -t settings.tcl.

I use settings.tcl for pin assignments, but normally specified the source code to quartus_map.

The problem is that quartus_map will not read the qsf file before it has processed all the source files listed as argument to quartus_map, which will make it fail since it misses the qip file.

I'm running out of ideas...

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Joakim,

You may add the following in the .qsf file

set_global_assignment -name file.qip

Thanks

0 Kudos
Joakim
Novice

Thanks, but I do not have any .qsf file when running quartus_map.

The whole purpose of using a makefile is that it will create dependencies, adding source files etc, so it should create the qsf file from scratch.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Joakim,

The .qsf file has to be created first and then add the source file in the .qsf file.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Joakim
Novice

Thanks KYeoh,

Yes, that is my question. How can I do that using the quartus tools?

Or do I have to create the qsf file manually?

quartus_map project_name --analysis_and_elaboration --family=... -f sourcefiles.args

Will create a qsf file with the source files I want, together with some settings like the chip family. But the command will fail when the source files are using components from the qip file and I have not found any good way to add the qip file when calling quartus_map or before it is called.

The Quartus GUI is calling Info:

quartus_map --read_settings_files=on --write_settings_files=off ...

So I have tried to create an empty qsf file with just the qip reference, with variants of the read/write_settings_files, but it seems like the settings file is not read until it has processed the source files in the argument.

BR / Joakim

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Joakim,

The .qsf file is generated by the software automatically when the project is created.

1. First, you may create the project file using project_new [-family ] [-overwrite] [-part ] [-revision ]. This creates a .qpf file and .qsf file.
  2. Modify the .qsf file to add the .qip file and all source files using set_global_assignment
  3. Run Analysis and Synthesis using quartus_map (Standard) or quartus_syn(Pro)

Thanks

0 Kudos