Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How to automatically generate Hexout file

PhilipJ451
Beginner

Hi, please can someone help me before I go nuts!! I have a project that when I compile in Quartus Prime Lite (version 17) it always produces a hexout file. I use this file so my host CPU can download it, store it in flash and program the FPGA (a Cyclone V) at power-up.

I am currently starting a new project and I simply cannot find the option to set it to do this automatic hexout generation!! I've got the menu option File->Convert Programming Files... and this works if I do it manually but it's tedious and I know it can be done automatically 'cos my old project does it.

Help!! Please!!

kind regards

PhilipJ

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I found out that the hexout file can be generated through the Assignments -->Compilation Process Settings --> Device/Board -->Device and Pin Options --> Programming Files, tick to the box "Hexadecimal (Intel-Format) Output File (.hexout)".

The start address must be entered as a hexadecimal value.

Then compile the design file. A hexout file will e generate and can be seen in the output file folder.

If the problem still persist, please tell me as well.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
PhilipJ451
Beginner

Hi,

thank you so much for your help :-)

I really was going a bit crazy trying to find that particular option, it is pretty well buried away!!

I have added the option and my project now generates the Hexout file, ready to load into my host CPU's memory

Kind regards

PhilipJ

0 Kudos