Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How to change "Latch Type" in Resource Property Editor

SYosh17
Novice

Hi all, 

When I looked at the circuit I generated using the latch primitive in the Resource Property Editor, it consisted of LUTs instead of Programmable Registers, which I didn't expect. And the Latch Type was "latch".
However, even though I used the LUT primitive to connect the output of the LUT directly to one of the inputs and configured a latch, the Latch Type was "none".
Could you tell me what the conditions are for the Latch Type to be "latch"?

Since the latch primitive can be specified as the From/To Target of Report Timing, timing information can be obtained. I want to make my own latch with this feature.

I am using Cyclone IV GX and Quartus 18.1.

img.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A latch by its definition is made of gates, not registers.  Trying to get reliable timing from a latch is not really possible.  Why don't you just use registers?

SYosh17
Novice

Thank you for your answer.

I'm trying to configure an asynchronous circuit and the circuit doesn't have a global clock in my circuit, so I can't use registers.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683082/22-2/inferring-latches-correctly.html

Probably can help you.

Note: In some cases, timing analysis does not completely model latch timing. As a best practice, avoid latches unless required by the design and you fully understand the impact.

Best Regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution and give Kudos.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi

Did you use Continuous Assignment in making your own latch? Continuous Assignment does not infer latch. Check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683082/22-2/inferring-latches-correctly.html

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

SYosh17
Novice

Thank you very much for your reply.

The document helped me.

I actually tried synthesizing the simple_latch in the document. This circuit was configured using two LUTs, one of which had a "Latch Type" of "latch". The Cyclone IV has 4-input LUTs, so I think this circuit can be configured with a single LUT. Why does this circuit consist of two LUTs? Is there any way to configure this circuit with single LUT?

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/14.1/mergedProjects/hdl/vlog/vlog_pro_latches.htm

This will configure the circuit with single LUT instead of two. Check image below:

ShengN_Intel_0-1660876736619.png

Best Regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution and give Kudos.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any further update or concern?

Do you need any further help on this?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since there are no further feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos