Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

How to connect a Clock-Controlblock with a ADC-PLL?

Norick
Beginner

Hello

When using the PLL_ADC_internal followed by a ClockControlBlock which goes to the internal Dual-ADC from the Max10, it is not possible to connect it as shown below.

Lock.png

If so, Quartus can't fit it. Now, when this ClockControlBlock is deleted it works. The reason for this Clock-ControlBlock is to disable the PLL_ADC when not used.

Question:

• How would you enable/disable such ADC PLL Clock?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

Put the PLL in reset. Given you don't appear to use the clock out of the PLL for anything else I can't see this being a problem.

Gating a clock to an internal block (internal ADC) may well be something the MAX10 routing cannot accommodate. If this was to an external pin I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
Norick
Beginner

The disadavantage of a reset is, that it takes much longer until the PLL is working again. Therefore I would like to use a ClockControl. Is this configuration simply not possible??

0 Kudos
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

If Quartus says 'no' then I suspect it's not possible, although I am a little surprised. I may well try this later...

If you can feed the clock off the device and back in on another pin I'm suspect you'll be able to realise a solution.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
Norick
Beginner

for whatever reason I can't use the Clock-Controlblock in between the PLL and the Max10 ADC I will try to use the 'reset' of the PLL as you mentioned. Do you know how to assign

for example PLL1 with FPGA clock input CLK1?

0 Kudos