Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

How to debug Internal compiler error of I++

JGome70
Beginner

I am experimenting with Quartus 19.4. I have a component to create IP using the HLS compiler. I followed a Makefile structure very similar to what is found in the counter example. While that example seems to work fine, when doing make test-fpga I get the following output:

Target FPGA part name: 10CX220YF780I5G Target FPGA family name: Cyclone10GX Target FPGA speed grade: -5 Analyzing testbench_bilateral_filter_fixed.cpp for testbench generation Creating x86-64 testbench Analyzing testbench_bilateral_filter_fixed.cpp for hardware generation Optimizing component(s) and generating Verilog files Internal Compiler Error: Number of parameters mismatched. This may be due to empty types are being optimized away HLS Main Optimizer FAILED. Makefile:61: recipe for target 'test-fpga' failed make: *** [test-fpga] Error 1

How can I debug or find more information about the actual issue? I have reduced the code to a minimum and hardcoded many parts but cannot find a way around this issue.

UPDATE: I have reduced the code to a minimum to reproduce this issue. It seems the problem is when the component is a class member (code adapted from this video):

#include "stdlib.h" #include "HLS/stdio.h" #include "assert.h" #include "HLS/hls.h"   class ProofOfComponent { public: component int accelerate(int a, int b); };   component int ProofOfComponent::accelerate(int a, int b) { return a+b; }   int main(int argc, char** argv) { ProofOfComponent poc; srand(0); int x = rand()%10; int y = rand()%10; int z = poc.accelerate(x, y); printf("%d + %d = %d\n", x, y, z); assert(z == x + y);   return 0; }

Could somebody explain why this is not possible? It is standard C++.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Upon checking, the HLS does not allow you to compile class methods as functions into RTL unless they are declared ‘static’.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There is an mismatched parameter as stated:

"Internal Compiler Error: Number of parameters mismatched. This may be due to empty types are being optimized away"

I am checking the information internally with developer.

Thanks

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Upon checking, the HLS does not allow you to compile class methods as functions into RTL unless they are declared ‘static’.

Thanks