Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

How to set Timing Constraint from CLR to Output?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All,  

In my design I have a an output port, that must be driven low through an asynchronous clear within a certain limit of time. 

The post fitting Technology Map View looks like this:  

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7720  

Using two different timing reports and looking at their data and clock paths, I managed to get an idea of the total delay of the green ack signal path. 

But how can I constrain a maximal delay for this?  

Best Regards,  

Simon
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use set_max_delay should do it, I think 

set_max_delay -from [get_ports read_n] -to [get_ports ack] 

If not, you can try to define a virtual clock for that purpose and use set_input_delay and set_output_delay.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear rbugalho, 

I had tried both your suggestions before with no success :( 

Timing report for "set_max_delay -from [get_ports read_n] -to [get_ports ack]" returns: "No paths were found" 

For the second approach, I used: 

create_clock -name dsp_clk -period 9.804 set_input_delay -clock { dsp_clk } -min 0 set_input_delay -clock { dsp_clk } -max 0 set_output_delay -clock { dsp_clk } -min 0 set_output_delay -clock { dsp_clk } -max 0  

Timing report for "set_input_delay" returns: "No paths were found" (Which makes sense, as read_n is connected to the registers clock pin, not data pin as usual.) 

Timing report for "set_output_delay" returns the clock pin to output port timing, which is not what I need. I'm looking for the clear to output timing. 

My best approach so far is when using the following report: 

report_timing -from_clock { dsp_clk } -recovery -npaths 10 -detail full_path -panel_name {read_n to ack_internal|q} 

This shows the path from read_n port to ack_internal|q pin. But using "recovery" implements that I want to synchronize with the fpga_clk which is not what I'm after. 

Is there some way of splitting timings into two "set_max_delay", one from read_n port to ack_internal|q and another for ack_internal|q to ack port? I tried some stuff like: 

set_max_delay -from -to 7 set_max_delay -from -to 7 set_max_delay -from -to 5 set_max_delay -from -to 5 

But all of them return: "No paths were found"! 

Am I doing something wrong, or is this truly impossible to constrain? 

Simon
0 Kudos