Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

How to split conduit inside Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need to connect a 4-channel transceiver and Stratix-V PCIe Hard IP core to a reconfiguration controller inside Qsys.  

That requires 10 channels: 8 from transceiver and 2 from PCIe. Those channels are conduits, and connected using reconfig_to_xcvr and reconfig_from_xcvr busses N*46 and N*70 bit wide.  

Is there a way to split a conduit inside Qsys? Current workaround is to bring reconfig_to_xcvr and reconfig_from_xcvr busses outside Qsys, split them into two, and then connect back to Qsys. 

That system compiles ok. However, the problem is that Transceiver Toolkit doesn't find reconfiguration controller. I suspect because reconfig_to_xcvr and reconfig_from_xcvr busses are connected that way outside Qsys.  

Thanks, 

Evgeni
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that sounds like the "proper" way to use conduits, unfortunately. have you looked at Altera's Transceiver Toolkit designs to see how they've connected the reconfig block?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All Qsys reference designs I've seen are "simple". They only have a single component - either transceiver or PCIe - that is connected to reconfig block. But my design has both. 

Thanks, 

Evgeni
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are some multi-PHY TT designs here: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/transceiver_toolkit 

the conduits are actually connected internally, i didn't think you could do that 

at any rate, after opening the multi-PHY design it sounds like you may have the reconfig block setup incorrectly if you are "splitting" the conduits into multiple buses. you should have two separate conduits (two tx/rx pairs), one for the PCIe and one for the "transceivers" (assuming they are all part of one PHY). no manual splitting of the reconfig bus should be necessary
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Those designs have a single multi-channel PHY connected to the reconfig controller with the same conduit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I've got it. 

The way it's done is that they define "interface grouping" inside reconfig controller, as shown in the attached screenshot. 

That effectively creates several conduits, according to the number of bundles. 

Thanks, 

Evgeni 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7661
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, this is a contrast between Stratix IV and Stratix V reconfig controllers

0 Kudos