Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

How to use OCT calibration modules on CYCLONE 10LP ?

LLars1
Beginner

Hi,

I am currently trying to use the OCT calibration via output resistor feature on my CYCLONE 10 LP (10CL025YE144I7G), but i cannot find the IP needed for this.

From the research I made I found out that the altera OCT IP (ALTOCT) is is not compatible with my device, and it looks like the version of Quartus that I am using (Intel Quartus Prime 18.1 Lite) does not contain the Intel FPGA OCT IP Core.

Is this IP available for free, or is there another way to use the OCT calibration system on that device without using any IP ?

Regards,

Léo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi LLars1,

As I can see, there is no OCT IP core available for Cyclone 10 LP actually. 

And I will try to explain why. If you will create an example project, for example for Cyclone V, 

you will be able to include OCT IP core in your project. When I will suggest choosing 

"Calibrate OCT on power-up" from MegaWizard GUI. You will see that all other options, in that case, will be disabled.

Now, if you look at Cyclone 10 LP datasheet (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51002.pdf)

Table 8. Series OCT with Calibration at Device Power-Up Specifications for Intel Cyclone 10 LP Devices

you can read - "OCT calibration is automatically performed at device power-up for OCT-enabled I/Os."

So in your case, there is only one case for OCT calibration - at power-up, and there is, in that case, no need in IP core functionality.

You should just use assignment "Output termination" in assignment editor and choose "with Calibration".

Best regards,

Ivan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi LLars1,

As I can see, there is no OCT IP core available for Cyclone 10 LP actually. 

And I will try to explain why. If you will create an example project, for example for Cyclone V, 

you will be able to include OCT IP core in your project. When I will suggest choosing 

"Calibrate OCT on power-up" from MegaWizard GUI. You will see that all other options, in that case, will be disabled.

Now, if you look at Cyclone 10 LP datasheet (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-10/c10lp-51002.pdf)

Table 8. Series OCT with Calibration at Device Power-Up Specifications for Intel Cyclone 10 LP Devices

you can read - "OCT calibration is automatically performed at device power-up for OCT-enabled I/Os."

So in your case, there is only one case for OCT calibration - at power-up, and there is, in that case, no need in IP core functionality.

You should just use assignment "Output termination" in assignment editor and choose "with Calibration".

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos