Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

How to use "set_clock_groups" properly to constrain 2 asynchronous clocks in different clock domains

Amir21
Novice

Hello,

In my project, I have two different clock domains:

1. The first domain use the "sys_clk" from 10[MHz] external oscillator.

2. The second domain use the "pll_clk" (60[MHz]) that generated by PLL module from source of 100[MHz] external oscillator.

It says that the setup time slack of pll_clk is negative,  I see the worst-case timing paths, I found that the launch clock is sys_clk ,and the latch clock is pll_clk

Those two clocks are completely unrelated (have different ideal clock sources), when I'm trying to use the "set_clock_groups" definition In my SDC file, as follow: 

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {sys_clk} -group {uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1]}

I get those two warning messages:

Warning (332174): Ignored filter at project.sdc(67): "uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1]" could not be matched with a clock

Warning (332049): Ignored set_clock_groups at project.sdc(67): Argument -group with value uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1] could not match any element of the following types: ( clk )

I don't know how to resolve it,

I will be glad to learn from your experience.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Here's what I did. Works as expected.

create_clock -period 20.0 -name CLOCK_50 [get_ports {CLOCK_50}]

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|inclk[0]} -divide_by 5 -multiply_by 8 -duty_cycle 50 -name CPUCLK {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]}

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]} -divide_by 5000 -duty_cycle 50 -name RTCCLK {dk8ea_clock:rtc|rtcclk}

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {CLOCK_50} -group {CPUCLK} -group {RTCCLK} -group {altera_reserved_tck}

Note you use the NAME of the clock groups in the set_clock_groups command, not the signal or pin names.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Here's what I did. Works as expected.

create_clock -period 20.0 -name CLOCK_50 [get_ports {CLOCK_50}]

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|inclk[0]} -divide_by 5 -multiply_by 8 -duty_cycle 50 -name CPUCLK {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]}

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]} -divide_by 5000 -duty_cycle 50 -name RTCCLK {dk8ea_clock:rtc|rtcclk}

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {CLOCK_50} -group {CPUCLK} -group {RTCCLK} -group {altera_reserved_tck}

Note you use the NAME of the clock groups in the set_clock_groups command, not the signal or pin names.

Amir21
Novice
Hi,

I tried it and it worked perfectly!
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Aizik Amos.
0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

(duplicate but I can't delete it)

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Have you tried ak6dn's suggestion?

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Aizik Amos,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos