Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

I am unable to program an MT25QL128 flash with the programmer-I get the error "Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1". What's the problem?

BVola
Beginner

I'm able to program the device from the command line: "quartus_pgm.exe -c Usb-Blasterii -m jtag -o ipv;arrinx.jic".

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you are also seeing the same issue when you are using Quartus Programmer GUI? May I know how do you generate the JIC file?

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

The problem is ONLY with the GUI; as I said, it works ok from the command line. I generated the JIC file using File/Convert Programming File. See attached screen capture.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you try using "quartus_pgm.exe -c Usb-Blasterii -m jtag -o pvbi;arrinx.jic"?

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

I guess I wasn't clear. I CAN program the device from the command line. I CANNOT program it from the GUI.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you select programming the FPGA and the Flash at the same time? Could you share the screenshot of the Quartus Programmer GUI?

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

I selected only the Flash. But I tried selecting both, with the same results. Screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From the screenshot, I am not observing both being selected. Could you confirm if both is selected and you are observing the same error message?

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

Which way SHOULD it be done? Programming both the FPGA AND the flash? Why would that even matter? I don't download anything to the FPGA when I use the command line, and that works.

The way I understand it, when you program the JIC file, the programmer downloads a flash loader to the FPGA which handles the interface to the flash. Here's a screen shot.

Quartus Fail2.JPG

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

When you include programming both FPGA and flash then it will start to load Flash Loader into FPGA before programming the flash. without this you will observed that the Flash loader IP is not loaded.

May I know if you are able to reduce the TCK clock frequency to 6Mhz? May I know which Quartus version are you using?

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

According to the Intel website, you can't change the clock frequency. Besides, I've already established that it programs ok from the command line. byteblaster clock.JPG

0 Kudos
BVola
Beginner

I'm using Quartus Prime Version 18.1.0 Build 625 09/12/2018 SJ Lite Edition

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You are using USB-Blaster II and not ByeBlaster. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06242013_922.html on how to change the TCK frequency.

0 Kudos