Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

I am using a Cyclone V GT and CVP on PCI Express. I have programmed the flash and uploaded the core.rbf. I am trying to use signal tap to look at signals in the core. Signal Tap application shows "invalid JTAG configuration". Suggestions?

jmelv
Novice

Is there a sample project showing the use of Signal Tap in the core uploadable partition?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jmelv
Novice

Hi Nooraini,

Thanks for the reply.  I finally found the answer, you can’t put a signal tap instance in the CVP core partition in a Cyclone V. It has to reside in the top partition so to tap nodes in the CVP core partition, signals have to be passed up to the Periphery (top) .

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/14.1/mergedProjects/msgs/msgs/wsgn_pr_tap_node_must_be_in_top.htm

A note added to the CVP documentation for Cyclone V about using SignalTap to look at core partition signals would be helpful for anyone trying this in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Jmelv,

Have you try to test the SignalTap without using the CvP mode first? Test the full image configuration either from JTAG or AS/PS/FPP mode then test the SignalTap if it works or not. If the does not work with the same "invalid JTAG configuration", the potentially the db (database) could be corrupted. What do you mean "uploadable" partition?

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
jmelv
Novice

Hi Nooraini,

Thanks for the reply.  I finally found the answer, you can’t put a signal tap instance in the CVP core partition in a Cyclone V. It has to reside in the top partition so to tap nodes in the CVP core partition, signals have to be passed up to the Periphery (top) .

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/14.1/mergedProjects/msgs/msgs/wsgn_pr_tap_node_must_be_in_top.htm

A note added to the CVP documentation for Cyclone V about using SignalTap to look at core partition signals would be helpful for anyone trying this in the future.

0 Kudos
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Jmelv,

Yes you are correct on this. The SignalTap need to be place at the top partition part of the periphery.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos