Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

I have a ep3c55 with a M25P20 configurator. What version if any can I use thats free to program the M25P20 with a hex file?

MCoop7
Beginner

Quartus Lite 18.1 I downloaded and its still asking for a license?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi MCoop7,

As far as I know, Quartus Lite/Standard version do not support M25P20 flash device.

For alternative, you can used EPCS/EPCQ/EPCQ-A device.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

HI, Unfortunately I am only the test engineer and cannot modify the design. I can make recommendations but not likely it will be acted on.

Is there any version of Quartus that can program a M25p20 attached to ep3c55? We are in the process of releasing an EOL of the same board and it will have the same part.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi MCoop7,

M25p20 device do not in any version of Quartus.

Another alternative I can recommend, you can use "Generic Flash Programmer" in Quartus 18.1.1std /19.1pro version and above.

"Generic Flash Programmer" enable user to define any 3rd party QPSI flash device in Quartus.

1.JPG

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

I assume both of these require a license and isn't free?

Generic Flash Programmer" in Quartus 18.1.1std /19.1pro version and above.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Yes, both of these require license.

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

​I downloaded 18.1 Prime Standard Edition I found a license I can use from our design group.   I opened up the convert programming file window like above but I dont see the NEW Button I must be missing something still checking for updates.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi MCoop7,

"Generic Flash Programmer" only available on 18.1.1 and above.

Please update your Quartus to 18.1.1.

Below are the step to update the Quartus to 18.1.1:

1. Go to link http://fpgasoftware.intel.com/18.1/?edition=standard
  2. Select the "Updates" option
  3. Follow the "Download and install instructions."

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

In addtion, to check your current Quartus version:

1. Open your Quartus
  2. Go to Help > About Quartus Prime.
  3. You can see whether your current Quartus is 18.1.0 or 18.1.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

​I think I have the m25p20 entered correctly?   I am surprised the software filled in the Initialization/program/erase/verify flow charts without any input on my behalf.  My question though is I see some commands that dont match the m25p20 datasheet and a couple for which i have no clue where or what they are?    see below.  VCR   Command 0x81?      EVCR Command 0x61?   These are not even in the Command set for m25p20?

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

That almost solves my issue, .JIC is exactly what i need to create the .JAM file. i am using 18.1 lite no license though. I am not clear though if using the lite there is a way to manually create a memory device. Is there a Quartus version that doesnt require a license to create?

0 Kudos
MCoop7
Beginner

​Well I am closer using 19.2 quartus.  However after reading the online   Generic Flash Programmer User Guide I am not sure after all this the software will work for cyclone 3 ep3c55->m25p20

I did attempt to create a generic m25p20 but some of the fields are not self-intuitive.   Looking at the M25p20 part spec I dont find "single I/O mode dummy clock".   Its not a quad device so I guess i leave that 0?

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Cyclone III only support Quartus up to 13.1 version only. Thus, I dont think you can use  Generic Flash Programmer for your device ( Generic Flash Programmer only support Quartus 18.1.1).

Thanks

0 Kudos