Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

I have a problem with Quartus Prime 18.1 Lite Edition. More specifically, when creating a .vwf file for the Simulation Waveform Editor, a few lines within the file are quite wrong. Attached is a Word document with details.

RBeg
Novice

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Can you check once the 'Restore Defaults' under Simulation -> simulation settings?

it will generate as you looking for, check the below screenshots,

Simulation_option.JPG

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
RBeg
Novice

Hi Vikas,​

Thanks for the reply. 

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have always been clicking on the Restore Defaults button, right after setting up pin assignments, and prior to saving the file - Simulation -> Settings is unavailable before going through pin assignments, and is disabled before that. 

The Restore Defaults changes the initial file name in those lines I highlighted from Waveform.vwf to <project name>.vwf (light.vwf in my example) but it does not correct the messed up paths. 

When I described the problem originally, I was trying to point out that this erroneous path is created right at the get go when the Simulation Waveform Editor is invoked.

I should also mention that .vwf file appears to behave like a configuration file used for initial setup only.  Changes to it do not appear to take effect until the Simulation Waveform Editor is closed and restarted.

Of course, since I do not know the internals, that too may be an illusion.

Rashid Beg

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

'The Restore Defaults changes the initial file name in those lines I highlighted from Waveform.vwf to <project name>.vwf (light.vwf in my example) but it does not correct the messed up paths.'

Actually I have only one drive(C) so I couldn`t see any change,check attachment.

Can you check it by creating project under installation directory?

First save '.vwf file' & then go for 'simulation setting'

Are you doing Functional or Timing simulation?

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

0 Kudos
RBeg
Novice
Hi Vicky, I tried your suggestion of creating the project under the installation directory, but the condition persists. I documented the whole exercise in some detail with lots of screen shots in the hope that you, or someone, may spot something that rings a bell somewhere. Despite the length of the document, it should be pretty quick for you to go through since they are all screen shots you would be very familiar with, and brief comments from me. The document you sent (the dffdesign.vwf file) has been helpful in that I now realize the default in the process of setting up the Simulation Waveform Editor is <path><file name> rather than simply <file name>, so my work around edits are a bit less tedious to do. Rashid
0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Rashid,

Please check the below steps carefully & provide the screen shot like below,

1. First save the .vwf file from file Menu.
  2. Go to 'Simulation' -> 'Simulation Setting' -> 'Restore Defaults' -> save.
  3. Then 'File' -> 'Save'
  4. Eventually 'Simulation -> 'Functional Simulation'
  5. provide the screen shot like below & vwf file with notepad extension.

editor.JPG

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

0 Kudos
RBeg
Novice

Hi Vicky,

​The above steps you outline is exactly what I did with no improvement.

I thought I sent you the document I created of the steps I went through as an attachment to my last email, but I cannot tell now if it was actually uploaded, so I am sending it again.

Rashid

Vicky1
Employee

Hi Rashid,

Thanks for the details.

1. First save the .vwf file from file Menu.

please refer previous post step wise, here everywhere I mentioned 'Save' the file Not 'Save As'.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

0 Kudos
RBeg
Novice

Hi Vicky,

For some reason the errors I was getting have disappeared!

I have tried, several times, creating a project from scratch, using exactly the same steps as before, but cannot reproduce the errors I was getting earlier.  The only difference has been that I've been running the ModelSim stand-alone application, along with Quartus Prime, as part of other Intel/Altera tutorials.  All I can think of is that running the stand-alone version of ModelSim has changed something, perhaps in an XML script somewhere.  For now, however, I am pleased that the condition has disappeared, whatever the cause.

Thanks very much for your help

Rashid Beg

0 Kudos