Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15539 Discussions

I'm wondering is whether there is a way to generate or not generate the jbc file based on an environment variable. Any ideas? I'd like to not create a jbc when I don't generate ALTPLL to speed simulation.

CBrow36
Beginner

What started as a design workaround when I found that ALTPLL in Verilog was broken is also useful in simulation. I feed an external clock into the simulator and don't instantiate the PLL and it runs the simulation something like 10x faster.

The downside is that I have to remember which way the include file is set or I'll generate a jbc file that won't work in hardware. The design is in maintenance mode and sometimes I forget everything that has to be touched. If there is a way to selectively run the jbc process, that would be great - that way if I don't instantiate the PLL, I also don't generate the jbc file and I can't waste time building it into firmware only to have nothing happen. Followed by my best Homer Simpson imitation: "D'oh!"

Lite Edition Version 18.0.0 Build 614 04/24/2018

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The easiest thing would be to not have the Assembler, which generates the file, run during a full compilation. In the Pro edition, you can click a checkbox in the Compilation Dashboard, but in the Lite edition, go to Project menu -> Settings -> Compilation Process Settings and turn off "Run Assembler during compilation."

When you do need to generate the file, just run the Assembler manually from Processing menu -> Start -> Start Assembler.

#iwork4intel

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee
The Assembler can be turned off. From the Compilation process settings