Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Incompatibility Quartus 17 Pro vs 17 Standard

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My understanding is that the Quartus 17 Pro edition is a new software architecture and that the only way to transfer a circuit designed within the Quartus 17 Standard environment to the Pro environment is to use verilog or VHDL. For example you can't export a qxp design partition from Standard to the Pro. A design team has to use one environment or the other, not both. 

Is this correct? 

Greg Nash
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.qxp is not supported in Pro. It's been replaced in 17.0 Pro with .qdb. The flow between Quartus incremental compilation in standard vs. pro is similar, but those file types are not compatible with each other. If a project is created in standard (assuming it's Arria 10 since that's the only family supported in both) and opened in pro, you can't bring it back to standard. I haven't tried it yet, but if incremental compilation with a .qxp file was used in a project that was moved from standard to pro, my guess is you'd get an error or warning that the design partition defined by the .qxp is not available. The black box HDL code would still allow the partition's use in Pro as an empty partition, but you'd have to generate a .qdb file from the originating project and import it to implement the partition's logic.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

.qxp is not supported in Pro. It's been replaced in 17.0 Pro with .qdb. The flow between Quartus incremental compilation in standard vs. pro is similar, but those file types are not compatible with each other. If a project is created in standard (assuming it's Arria 10 since that's the only family supported in both) and opened in pro, you can't bring it back to standard. I haven't tried it yet, but if incremental compilation with a .qxp file was used in a project that was moved from standard to pro, my guess is you'd get an error or warning that the design partition defined by the .qxp is not available. The black box HDL code would still allow the partition's use in Pro as an empty partition, but you'd have to generate a .qdb file from the originating project and import it to implement the partition's logic. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK, and yes I'm interested in Arria 10; however, you implied that if you create a project in Standard, it could then be opened in Pro. If true, does that mean that a circuit could be "imported" to Pro simply by making it a project in Standard and then opening that project in Pro? (I'm only interested in a one-way path). And once in Pro, it could be imported into a larger project also in Pro?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, a standard project can be opened in pro. You'll get a warning that it will be converted to a pro database and that you can't go back to standard. 

Once in pro, you can create a .qdb file from a design partition and then import that into another pro project.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, a standard project can be opened in pro. You'll get a warning that it will be converted to a pro database and that you can't go back to standard. 

Once in pro, you can create a .qdb file from a design partition and then import that into another pro project. 

--- Quote End ---  

Getting back to the issue of exporting a qxp file from Standard to Pro, which would be better for me, since it's just a netlist and not the source code, I could export a qxp version of my circuit in Standard. Then I could create another project in Standard using the imported qxp file. Finally, couldn't the "qxp" project in Standard be opened in Pro, so it is essentially a way of exporting a qxp file to Pro?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have no idea if this will work.

0 Kudos