Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Install Cyclone_10gx.qdz

PVanL
Novice

I have installed Modelsim Lite and Quartus Lite.

Modelsim has libraries for Arria (several versions), and for cyclone_10lp. I have downloaded Cyclone_10gx.qdz file. How to install?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Cyclone 10 GX is only supported in the Pro edition of Quartus.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Pieter,

You can't install Cyclone 10 GX device in Quartus Lite.Cyclone 10 GX device is only supported in the Pro edition.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
PVanL
Novice

Hi Sstrell and Anand, thanks for your response.

The problem is the following. I founded this startup Cool Optics in 2017, with this idea to reduce energy consumption in the datacenter. See www.cool-optics.nl. I do this on my own, with my own (limited) money, and looking for venture capitalists. I learned you need at least a working prototype to persuade them. So I started programming VHDL in 2018 using ModelSim. As you can maybe see in my "My Intel", I installed in 2018 ModelSim 18.0 and Quartus 18.0 with Cyclone10GX on a machine with 8 GB RAM.. The idea is to develop a working prototype on INTEL's development board with Cyclone10GX . It worked fine. No problem. Free license, thank you very much.. However, as the design grew, this 8GB machine ran more and more into its limits. Last December I bought this bigger machine with 32 GB, and thought to re-install both ModelSim (simulation) and Quartus (Map onto FPGA, place and route) with the Cyclone10GX library. Now i am stuck, i don't have the money to pay for the licenses and feel very frustated. It used to run, why did you change the license policy?

PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND A SOLUTION!

Kind Regards, Pieter van Leeuwen

PS: Sometimes QUARTUS seems to be ModelSim AND Quartus (FPGA map + place and route), and sometimes QUARTUS seem to be ONLY FPGA Map & Place & route. What do you mean with QUARTUS: inclusive or exclusive Modelsim?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Cyclone 10 GX has never been supported in the Lite edition. Cyclone 10 LP (which you mention) is supported in Lite and Standard, so were you working with an LP device previously? Or perhaps you got a temporary Standard license when you purchased the GX dev kit?

As for your last question, ModelSim-Intel FPGA [starter] edition is an optional additional install with Quartus, so when I'm talking about Quartus, that's all I'm referring to, not ModelSim. So I don't think you were programming VHDL with Modelsim (though you could; I find it a lot easier to use the Quartus text editor and then simulate that code in Modelsim).

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

1. Cyclone 10 GX is only supported on Quartus pro. Can you recheck the version and edition of the tool used.
  2. Modelsim just gives simulation capabilities and  ModelSim-Altera software comes with precompiled and premapped libraries.
  3. ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition and ModelSim-Intel FPGA Starter Edition are additional installation with Quartus.
  4. Quartus Prime enables analysis and synthesis of HDL designs, which enables the developer to compile their designs, perform timing analysis, Place & route and program etc

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
PVanL
Novice

Thanks again for answering.

Yes, I am definitely sure that I am working with Cyclone10GX, Modelsim Starter Edition and Quartus Lite.

And yes, performance is lousy, as the number of LE far exceeds the limits of the starter edition.

And yes, I know performance will still be lousy with my new 32 GB RAM machine as the number of LE's still exceeds the starter editions. But at least it will not crash any more.

And no, I did not expect license issues as it installed two years ago without any issue on my old machine with 8 GB RAM.

And yes, Cycone10GX, is the version I need, for the 10Gbps transceivers.

Just as I will need the development boards with the Cyclone10GX for a live demonstrator once the simulation and performance work fine.

My questions:

A/ Does INTEL have a program to support startups with limited venture money (in this case my household money), to use a PRO license at (a very) reduced tariff?

B/ Apparently I need the pro version for ModelSim and Quartus, which, if I understand the license policy correctly, costs $ 2000,= and $ 4000 respectively?

C/ Is there, without A/ an option for a reduced tariff?

I realize this forum is not intended for commercial issues, yet I do appreciate your support, and your suggestion to whom I should refer to address this situation?

Regards, Pieter

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Not possible for Quartus lite with Cyclone 10 gx.

As per document and my knowledge it does not support.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf

Please attach the some image of your quartus lite with Cyclone 10 GX.

0 Kudos