Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15336 Discussions

Installing USB-Blaster Dev. Boards drivers manually

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys. I have a Quartus Prime(17.1) newb question - I'm looking for a way to install USB-Blaster II drivers manually on Windows 10, rather than letting windows10 auto install. 

I see there is a application called 'Device Installer', but I'm thinking this doesn't apply to device drivers. I'm not finding much on the boards. Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi guys. I have a Quartus Prime(17.1) newb question - I'm looking for a way to install USB-Blaster II drivers manually on Windows 10, rather than letting windows10 auto install. 

I see there is a application called 'Device Installer', but I'm thinking this doesn't apply to device drivers. I'm not finding much on the boards. Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

Is it possible install USB-Blaster drivers by running an .exe ? If so, I may be able to try something else.  

I have been able to remove the bad drivers but not been able to get the 'new hardware found' state to ever return. I have been on the line with Microsoft support and we eventually found out that my new windows 10 PC may be bricked with regards to this development board, unless I restore, an interesting feature of win10, and as my restore point size was set too low at factory to have a restore point before I first connected the hardware, apparently the next step is to mess with the registry. I have identified the culprit drivers. I'd rather not switch PCs, so i'm wondering if a professional could remove the related registry entries to stop the bad drivers, and allow new hardware to be found again? 

Also, I have heard that one needs to install Quatrus Prime 17.1 explicitly 'as administrator' in order for USB-Blaster II drivers to work, is this correct? I am not sure which I did. Thanks. 

Cheers, 

Bob  

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The "new hardware found" doesn't come up if Windows still installs a driver automatically. The device will show then in the device manager, possibly with a fault mark. The simple way is to update the driver to the correct one in the driver tab of the device properties.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, FvM. I have tried easy ways to update driver. Safe mode, after removal it comes back as soon as I connect the board, no prompt. Something deeper in Win10 is 'acting up'. A Microsoft tech assistant informed me that once 'hardware is found' for a device, that prompt can never again happen for that device, no matter how deep you remove the errant drivers for that device. I am still hoping he meant notwithstanding messing with registry. My restore points are too recent.  

So for now I have ordered another Max10 50 dev. board - the Intel DK-DEV-10M50-A. BUT, I just realized an important question - will my pc connect this new board to errant drivers, without prompt just like the neek board now does? :eek: Both boards use USB-Blaster II .