Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Is there a way to change ModelSim's default radix in code or command line?

BrianHG
New Contributor I

Hello,
Without editing the modelsim.ini's line 'DefaultRadix = symbolic', is there a way I can specify a change to the default within my ***_tb.sv source file?

How about in a .do script file?

Can I specify the radix on the 'vsim' or 'vlog' command line settings?

I already know when I manually 'add wave ', I can '-radix unsigned', however, I want to change the system default so that all the other window's contents, like the 'Objects' window, change their default 'Value' reading column to my preferred radix.

Thanks again for the help,
Brian.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrianHG
New Contributor I

Thank you ShyanYewT,

Unfortunately, the default does not carry when I move source files to a new folder and start a new Modelsim.  I would have liked to have found a way to set it in my source testbench or .do file which contains the:

vsim -t 1ps -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver .....

However, going to the vsim in the command reference manual, I found:

vsim -default_radix unsigned -t 1ps -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver .....

for the vsim command.  This is what I was looking for and I wonder why my .pdf viewer never did show this text of 'default_radix' when I did a search for 'radix'.  For some reason, maybe the underscore, the - in front, or that it was a blue link, all the text search showed was a number of other 'radix' references throughout the documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

With the Modelsim GUI opened, you might change the radix following the steps below:

1. Select Simulate > Runtime options...
2. In Default Radix box, select your desired radix.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
BrianHG
New Contributor I

Thank you ShyanYewT,

Unfortunately, the default does not carry when I move source files to a new folder and start a new Modelsim.  I would have liked to have found a way to set it in my source testbench or .do file which contains the:

vsim -t 1ps -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver .....

However, going to the vsim in the command reference manual, I found:

vsim -default_radix unsigned -t 1ps -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver .....

for the vsim command.  This is what I was looking for and I wonder why my .pdf viewer never did show this text of 'default_radix' when I did a search for 'radix'.  For some reason, maybe the underscore, the - in front, or that it was a blue link, all the text search showed was a number of other 'radix' references throughout the documentation.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that you found the answer for your question, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos