Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Is there an Editor in Platform Designer?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I wanted to edit/create some custom IP, that is going to be included in a Qsys-project, is there any way to edit the VHDL of a file from within Platform Designer? 

I know I can define the wrapper with its ports/conduits etc, but to actually add more VHDL inside, I currently need to use a 3rd party text editor. 

The irony is that if you open the file (post synthesis) from the Quartus Project navigator, you get the copied-version in the ../project_name/submodules/ folder...why?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.Why can't you write a logic and then create a custom IP? 

--- Quote Start ---  

is there any way to edit the VHDL of a file from within Platform Designer?  

--- Quote End ---  

No, can't edit/add the logic by using platform designer for the custom component. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I know I can define the wrapper with its ports/conduits etc, but to actually add more VHDL inside, I currently need to use a 3rd party text editor 

--- Quote End ---  

Why use 3rd party either you can use Quartus itself. You first create a wrapper and then add logic and compile the design and use it. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a 3rd party editor because I can set my editor to always look for my files in their source directory.  

If you use the Project Navigator to open a file, Quartus opens the copied version of the file, not the source.  

Is there a way to change this? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Have you set Preferred Text Editor in Quartus? 

Form tools->options->Preferred Text Editor. 

Select text editor of you choice and command-line point to .exe file. 

If still quartus opens copied version of the file check the text editor settings. 

I have used Notepad++ and opened the file from quartus it opens the source file only. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you go to the Files tab of the Project Navigator, instead of the Hierarchy tab, you can double-click a source file to open and edit it.  

However, for a custom component in Platform Designer, what you're seeing in the Project Navigator is the generated output of Platform Designer since you added this as a custom component to a system. That's why the original source file is not opening from the Project Navigator; Quartus sees the generated output, which is a copy of the original. 

The only sure way to open the source for editing is to do File -> Open. You'll still have to regenerate the _hw.tcl file and the system anyway.
0 Kudos