Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15543 Discussions

It is strange to me that the verilog program behave differently when I turn a register variable into an output register variable.

GGan4
Beginner

I write a finite state machine module using verilog. The state variable is a 2-bit register named STATE. It is strange to me that the program operates correctly only when I set STATE as an output. Is there anyone knows the reason for it, or the difference between whether I set a register variable as output or not?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You have not provided enough information for anyone to comment in a reasonable fashion. What behaves differently, a simulator (which one) or a compiled FPGA? What is the difference? What is the context in which that register variable is used? It is just internal to a module instance, or is it actually an output of a module feeding other signals, that may feedback into an input into the module / state machine?

You need to provide snippets of actual code, what environment you are using, and what is the failed behavior vs expected behavior.