Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Kernel Execution Time

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI everyone 

I am currently learning Loop Unrolling Implementation, from the report, i currently able to get the Estimated Resource Usage Summary report 

by using the command aoc -c <kernel_name>.cl --report 

But i would like to know how to get the estimated execution time for the kernel?? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am afraid there is no straightforward way of getting an estimation of execution time without fully compiling the kernel and running it on an actual FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am afraid there is no straightforward way of getting an estimation of execution time without fully compiling the kernel and running it on an actual FPGA. 

--- Quote End ---  

i see, is there any recommend approaches to examine the code performance(while waiting the arrival of fpga)?? 

Because, it's hard to know the performance/effect of Loop Unroll with the limited information. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As a general rule of thumb, for loop unrolling you can assume that as long as the Initiation Interval(II) does not change, and you have not saturated the external memory bandwidth, performance will increase near-linearly with the unroll factor.

0 Kudos