Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Kernel Report Occupancy

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi mates! 

Im struggling to understand what the occupancy means.. for my understanding its the amount of time spent by the kernel doing a memory access. Is it right? 

So if my occupancy its 100% it says that im doing to much accesses? 

Cumps
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Occupancy refers to what percentage of the profiled time the kernel pipeline is full with no "bubbles". 100% occupancy is good because it means that every stage of the pipeline is always active during the profiled time period. See the best practices guide for details on this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Occupancy refers to what percentage of the profiled time the kernel pipeline is full with no "bubbles". 100% occupancy is good because it means that every stage of the pipeline is always active during the profiled time period. See the best practices guide for details on this. 

--- Quote End ---  

I saw the definition on the Best Practices Guide, but if i have a low percentage occupancy on a load operation is because of the memory latency / contention? 

for example 

# pragma unroll N 

for ... 

aux ^= a[z*16 +j]; //occupancy 25%
0 Kudos