Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Kernel Report Occupancy

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi mates! 

Im struggling to understand what the occupancy means.. for my understanding its the amount of time spent by the kernel doing a memory access. Is it right? 

So if my occupancy its 100% it says that im doing to much accesses? 

Cumps
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Occupancy refers to what percentage of the profiled time the kernel pipeline is full with no "bubbles". 100% occupancy is good because it means that every stage of the pipeline is always active during the profiled time period. See the best practices guide for details on this.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Occupancy refers to what percentage of the profiled time the kernel pipeline is full with no "bubbles". 100% occupancy is good because it means that every stage of the pipeline is always active during the profiled time period. See the best practices guide for details on this. 

--- Quote End ---  

I saw the definition on the Best Practices Guide, but if i have a low percentage occupancy on a load operation is because of the memory latency / contention? 

for example 

# pragma unroll N 

for ... 

aux ^= a[z*16 +j]; //occupancy 25%