Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

LPM_CONSTANT from "default quartus libraries" or from "IP Catalog": differences

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Quartus 17.1, when I am editing a "Block Diagram/Schematic File", I can insert into the schematic an LPM_CONSTANT by means of the symbol tool (from the library "c:/quartus/17.1/quartus/libraries/"), and I can add to the project an LPM_CONSTANT from the IP Catalog, and then also insert it into the schematic via the symbol tool (from the "Project" library). 

I have noticed that these components are different in behaviour (comparison: component from "default libraries" / component from "IP catalog"), at least in their "editing behaviour". E.g., they do not look the same, and in the context menu, the menu item "IP Parameter Editor" is grayed out if the LPM_CONSTANT from the default libraries is selected. 

Are these differences intentional for Quartus 17.1? Or is there anything wrong in my software installation or configuration? 

I am asking this also because I would like to use the "IP Parameter Editor" for the symbols entered from the default libraries (since I am used to that editor from my experience with older versions of Quartus; some components I need are not available in the "IP catalog", e.g. LPM_FF). Can I achieve this with Quartus 17.1, too?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Are these differences intentional for Quartus 17.1? Or is there anything wrong in my software installation or configuration? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, you will find this difference in all versions of Quartus because one is symbol & other is IP. 

--- Quote Start ---  

(since I am used to that editor from my experience with older versions of Quartus; some components I need are not available in the "IP catalog", e.g. LPM_FF). Can I achieve this with Quartus 17.1, too? 

--- Quote End ---  

In older version “MegaWizard Plug-In Manager” option was available in the “Symbol” window but working principle of all versions are same In fact In older version also for “LPM_FF” MegaWizard Plug-In Manager is Inactive, also check by inserting symbol with & without “MegaWizard Plug-In Manager” option in symbol window. Check screenshots 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

Intel Customer Support – Engineering 

(Under Contract to Intel)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Many thanks for your reply. So the difference between "symbol" and "IP" is intentional. 

I checked with my old Quartus II 8.1: indeed I can insert the LPM_FF with or without launching the "MegaWizard Plug-In". Is it true that this is impossible with Quartus 17.1? 

How can I get a graphical interface similar to MegaWizard for LPM_FF in Quartus 17.1? For LPM_CONSTANT I can get it via the IP catalog, but I did not find LPM_FF in the IP catalog. Did I overlook anything? 

Best regards, 

Oscar
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Oscar, 

I tried with Quartus versions 10.1, 14.1 and 17.1 but I am unable to find LPM_FF in IP catalog, it may not available. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

Intel Customer Support – Engineering 

(Under Contract to Intel)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, jatharvk. 

So when I am working with Block Diagram Files in Quartus 17.1, I have to use LPM_FF from "symbol" ("default libraries")? 

Do I get the same results as with the MegaWizard by opening the "properties" of the component and then editing the values in the "Parameter" tab?
0 Kudos