Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15336 Discussions

Library naming issue with "add_hdl_instance"

c-thaler
Beginner

My static IP component needs a floating point "multiply and add". So I added an altera_fp_functions instance via "add_hdl_instance" in the elaboration function of my IP's TCL file.

That works fine so far. However, Platform Designer puts the component into a library with a generated name, which is based on the system's hierarchy (something like "top_myip_mymultiplyadd").
Of course, my IP component's VHDL code must be generic. It must not depend on any system hierarchy.

Is there a way to force Platform Designer to use a static library name?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sorry for the late reply. Could you refer to the document link on 2.10.1. Static IP Components - Typical Usage of the add_hdl_instance Command for Static Components?...

Check that you have followed the correct usage of the add_hdl_instance for static components. 
Let me know if it helps to solve the issue. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

c-thaler
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I solved the issue in the meantime. But I did not follow the document you referred to.

I added a Verilog wrapper file for the generated floating point instance, since Verilog does not have the concept of libraries. Then I added the wrapper file to qip into the same library my component uses. After that, I was able to successfully instantiate the Verilog wrapper from my component's source code. I did not use autogenerated names, so it worked without any regex substitutions to the original source code.

RichardTanSY_Intel

Good to know that you are able to found the solution. This will be helpful to those who may come across similar issue.

With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.