Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

MAX 10 NEEK Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I want to monitor power on the fpga board when a video fro HDMI i/p is played on the LCD screen. 

In the Design examples, there is a code for power monitor and another one for HDMI. 

Any suggestions as to how should I start?? 

I am new to FPGA's .
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The design examples are there to be used as proven reference designs. What have you tried? What are you having trouble with? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking for suggestions. Would it be a good idea to try changing the existing code. For instance the HDMI one which gives me the output already. It is just the monitoring part that needs to be added into that.  

Now I am not really sure how to do that.  

Can it be done by instantiating the other one which is for power monitoring with the HDMI one.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. You can copy/paste bits of code from example projects into yours or instantiate modules, that you create from this same code, in your project. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not familiar with those designs but I suspect you should start with the HDMI design and copy over the power monitoring stuff into it. It's probably a matter of including the IP used access the power monitoring hardware and connecting it to I/O, adding the I/O assignments for the power monitoring interface, and including the drivers to access the power monitoring interface.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes thats where I started. 

I sm getting errors regarding node instance cant instantiate certain identities
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There might be custom IP in those designs that have not been copied over. In the power management design look for IP directories containing files with a .tcl extension. Often the designer will put these in a subdirectory "/ip" under the top level directory. Once those have been copied over if you open the HDMI system in Qsys those custom IP should show up in the component library so that you can instantiate them in your design. You can have more than one design open at a time so when you are instantiating the IP from the power monitoring design in the HDMI design you can have the power monitor design open at the same time to refer to.

0 Kudos