Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

MAX II PFL conflicting with other virtual jtag instances?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a MAX II acting as mutiple FPGA configuration controller, based on the Parallel Flash Loader Megafunction. When other virtual jtag instances e. g. altsource_probe are added to the device, the PFL programming interface isn't accessible any more from Quartus programmer, it is waiting endlessly for device access granted. I didn't see yet, if I could do anything to resolve the conflict, except removing the conflicting instance if I intend flash programming. 

I guess, there isn't an actual conflict in virtual jtag node configuration, but the Quartus programmer is confused with node configuration, probably cause not completely or fully correctly decoding the information. All other virtual jtag instances seems to be still operational with an existing PFL programmer instance.  

Best regards and Merry Christmas 

Frank
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Altera support sais: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The Quartus II software doesn't support multiple JTAG instance nodes. It causes the issue that you cannot use the PFL and signal probes together on Max II. This issue will be fixed in Quartus II 8. 

--- Quote End ---  

This should be read to my opinion as "Quartus programmer doesn't support..", cause some combinations of virtual JTAG instances apparently can be used. In the meantime, I could see that the Quartus programmer fails when it "forgets" to count additional instances n_sel_bits in virtual_ir_shift, although it knows the correct virtual ir length during initial node configuration intentify. So hopefully, the issue exists only with Quartus programmer PFL operation. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos