Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

MAX10 DDR3 Controller Error (17044): Illegal connection on I/O input buffer primitive

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I purchased the Altera MAX10 FPGA Development Kit with the intent of experimenting with the DDR3 controller. After instantiating the IP and compiling the project I get the dreaded "Error (17044): Illegal connection on I/O input buffer primitive". This happens with Quartus 15.1 (recommended in the readme file for the kit), Quartus 16.1, whether I build the controller through the IP tool/catalog or through Qsys. 

There are a number of posts about this that date back to 2012, but nothing current, or relevant Presumably nobody is having problems with this lately. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am also getting this message. Some replies state making the qip file your top level file fixes the problem, but that is not an option for me.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After instantiating the DDR3 controller make sure you run the pin_assignment tcl script. Make sure it runs without errors. My problem arose because I was getting errors when I ran the tcl script. This was eventually traced to a mis-assignment of the ddr3_ck pins as outputs, rather than bidirectional (my error). BTW, after getting no response from this forum I filed a service request with Altera and got excellent, speedy support.

0 Kudos