Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

MPFE for Stratix 10 EMIF?

GLT1
New Contributor I

Hello,

For past designs, I've used the UniPHY SDRAM memory controller for a DDR memory interface.   That controller contained a multi-port front end (MPFE) which could be used to create multiple smaller ports for accessing the DDR memory from user logic. 

I'm now working on a Stratix 10 design using the EMIF interface, and there does not seem to be a similar MPFE feature available.    The only avalon port provided to user logic has a 256-bit data port.  

Is there some other Platform Designer component available to split a 256-bit avalon bus into separate smaller buses?   Or is that something I will need to do in user logic?

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GLT1
New Contributor I

OK, thanks. I don't think SGDMA is going to work for our application, since we have multiple masters who need to access the memory.

Intel should consider bringing back the MPFE for the newer EMIF IP core.  That was a really useful feature.  To get rid of that without an equivalent replacement makes porting older designs to newer device architectures extra difficult.

--

Terry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Terry,

There is a component in the Platform Designer that you can work with.

It's Avalon Streaming Splitter Intel FPGA IP.

I think you can visit to this link for a reference resource.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683130/21-4/st-splitter-core.html

Thanks,

Adzim

0 Kudos
GLT1
New Contributor I

Hi Adzim,

That might work, but the port out of the EMIF core is Avalon-MM rather than Avalon-ST.

Are there components to convert MM to ST  and then from ST back to MM?  I can't seem to find anything like that in the Platform Designer IP list.

Thank you,

Terry

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Terry,

The Quartus doesn't has a direct convertor from the Avalon MM to Avalon ST and vise versa.

My suggestion is you can use SGDMA core.

You also can refer to this forum link for another option.

Sometimes the users will create their own custom convertor because the component is not match with their configuration.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
GLT1
New Contributor I

OK, thanks. I don't think SGDMA is going to work for our application, since we have multiple masters who need to access the memory.

Intel should consider bringing back the MPFE for the newer EMIF IP core.  That was a really useful feature.  To get rid of that without an equivalent replacement makes porting older designs to newer device architectures extra difficult.

--

Terry

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Terry,

Maybe you can use Arbitration module for your configuration.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683364/18-1/arbitration.html

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Terry,

Do you have any further question regarding to this topic?

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
GLT1
New Contributor I

Adzim,

I will look into using the arbitration modules to help with our design. I don't have any other questions on this, so you can close the thread.

Thank you,

Terry

0 Kudos