Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

MegaWizard Plug-In Manager hangs when making a PLL (Quartus II v14.1.1)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The following problem is completely repeatable: 

Within Quartus, in IP Catalog window (default position on right of screen)select: Installed IP -> Library -> Basic Functions -> Clocks; PLLs and Resets -> PLL -> ALTPLL 

dialog: Save IP Variation 

file name: /home/rac/FPGA/my_first_fpga/pll.v 

file type: Verilog 

window: MegaWizard Plug-In Manager [page 1 of 12]select speed grade: 6 

try to change the input clock frequency  

WINDOW IS NOW UNRESPONSIVE 

Nothing in the MegaWizard window is active, and if I cover/uncover it with another window, it won't update. 

I can eventually close the MegaWizard window using the close box in the upper right window frame.I then get the dialog: Metacity 

MegaWizard Plug-In Mnager [page 1 of 12] is not responding. 

choose Force Quit or Wait 

With a Force Quit, I am back in the Quartus main window and I can exit normally. 

My system and install: 

OS: Centos 6.6 (64-bit) fresh installwith all the Altera listed libraries installed except libzmq3.i686 (it wasn't in the repo) 

Quartus II version 14.1.1 (update 1)installed from downloaded files 

Quartus-web-14.1.0.186-linux.tar 

QuartusSetup-14.1.1.190-linux.run 

Another note: I get the exact same behavior with this Quartus on Linux Mint 17, and on two different computers. I installed Quartus on CentOS to see if there was some "magic" associated with the "approved" distribution. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because I actually needed to do some work with Quartus, I just installed version 14.0, base install with Cyclone IV support on my CentOS 6.6 distribution, and the MegaWizard Plug-In seems to work correctly. 

Version 14.0 files installed (yes I still need to do an update):QuartusSetupWeb-14.0.0.200-linux.run 

cyclone-14.0.0.200.qdz 

So, it appears to be a bug in V14.1 (and 14.1.1). Does anyone want to contact Altera? (Someone who is paying them so that they might actually listen. ;-) )
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

618 views after 10 days and no replies. While I have solved my problem for now (by going back a version), I had hoped that my post would have triggered some discussion.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Having the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. Did you launch a service request?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No I didn't launch a service request. I am using the "web" version, and I didn't see any indication of where Altera might want to hear from me. 

I assume you are using Quartus v14.1. I am using v14.0.2 and not seeing any problems. 

I am very disappointed in the lack of response from this community on my post here—after 4 weeks and 1459 views, yours is the first reply I have gotten. If you have a channel to Altera, please report the issue to them. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see this also, not on CentOS, but on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Quartus 15.0.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See this post for a workaround 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47420&p=199388#post199388 

--- Quote Start ---  

Pete, Funny you should mention it... I attended one of the max10 workshops a couple weeks ago and kept running into that. 

It is a GUI bug. Right after you open the dialog, stretch the window out a little (drag a corner) and make it so scrolling is not necessary. 

For me, once I adopted that "use pattern", I avoided the crash. It slowed me down in the workshop something crazy though because of the way it would just hang. 

--- Quote End ---  

This workaround appears to resolve the issue also on my 15.0 installation, running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe as long as you have a valid company email account, you should be able to file a service request and report this bug to Altera. Since this is a valid bug, I think Altera should look into the bug.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ubuntu Os is not supported in Quartus II 15.0, which is why you might see unexpected behavior. Try to use the supported OS

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ubuntu Os is not supported in Quartus II 15.0, which is why you might see unexpected behavior. Try to use the supported OS 

--- Quote End ---  

Seriously? It does not reflect very well on Altera to dismiss a serious concern and possible flaw in your software with the "not supported" card. 

I did some more research on this and found that the wizard WORKS under KDE/plasma but fails under gnome-session-fallback (Metacity) for some weird reason.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I switched to KDE and it solved the issue.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have also experienced problems with freezes of the MegaWizard. ALTPLL and ALTSQRT so far tend to stop working. For ALTPLL however, I updated to the latest linux kernel, which has some graphics fixes, and I could then make it work. For ALTSQRT it still freezes if I don't increase the size of the MegaWizard window before clicking any fields or buttons. 

It seems to me that there is something not quite right with the way graphics is drawn in the MegaWizard and judging on the different bug reports related to the MegaWizard under Linux in this forum, I think that the Altera people really should look into it. 

I use Linux Mint 17.2 with linux kernel 4.2.0-22-generic and Quartus 15.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see the same problem with Quartus Prime 16.1 Standard on Ubuntu 16.04. 

Hope Altera fix this very annoying issue soon!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see this issue with various RAM, ROM, and FIFO components when opening them in MegaWizard using Quartus 15.1.2 running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 with Gnome.  

As long as I use the workaround of resizing the first page so that both horizontal and vertical scrollbars disappear before clicking anything, it seems to work fine...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem when making a MUX. Mine is Quartus 16.1 standard and Ubuntu 16.04. After several methods, the following is success: 

1. You need to install Java from Oracle. My Java version after install is: 

java version "1.8.0_121" 

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13) 

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode) 

2. And you need to install Quartus in a directory path that has no uppercase letters. 

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

See this post for a workaround 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47420&p=199388#post199388 

This workaround appears to resolve the issue also on my 15.0 installation, running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. 

--- Quote End ---  

This also worked for me on Ubuntu 1404 LTS and Quartus ii Prime Lite
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Had the same problem (MegaWizard hangs during ALTPLL edit) on my main machine (desktop with latest Ubuntu 17.10, NVIDIA graphics card) while it always worked fine on my Thinkpad (exact same OS). My workaround for quite some time, then, was a remote login to my Laptop whenever I needed to edit a PLL and do it there (using "ssh -X" to the Thinkpad). 

Today, out of curiosity, I tried to remote login from the desktop to localhost instead (using "ssh -X localhost '<quartus_path>/bin/quartus --64bit'" to the same machine). 

Guess what - this works as well. And way faster ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Running Quartus 18 on Ubuntu 16 LTS 

I had the same problem and tried all suggested solutions and nothing worked. Later I realized I also was not able to see the help because the web browser never launched. The solution to that problem also happens to remove the problem with the hanging MegaWizard. 

Quartus is installed with its own program libraries. Starting quarts from the command line I could see that some functions was reporting missing when trying to launch the browser from Qaurtus. Removing the libraries with problems from the installatin directory and replacing them with symbolic links to the libraries installed by Ubuntu took care of these problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

618 views after 10 days and no replies. While I have solved my problem for now (by going back a version), I had this (https://cheltenhamfestivaluk.com/race-schedule/)&#8232; hoped that my post would have triggered some discussion.

0 Kudos
LucasM
Novice

Same Thing on Ubuntu 18.04 with Quartus 16, solved using https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000005tejJSAQ

0 Kudos
LucasM
Novice

4 years later on Quartus 16 - Ubuntu 18.04 this issue still persists. and maximizig the window solves the issue

0 Kudos