Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Migrating from Quartus II 9.0 Web to Quartus Lite 16.0 with MAX II to MAX 10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All, I have a major attempt. (at least I think so). I am jumping from Quartus II Web up to Quartus Lite 16, and I am wanting to modify my existing MAX II files and migrate them into a MAX 10 device. 

I have installed the Quartus Lite 16, but have not ran it yet as I want to make sure it doesn't try to do something with my working/existing Quartus 9.0. What are some things to watch out for during this upgrade? 

Can I load and recompile my existing .qpf, .bdf, .bsf, .sym ?????? files or should I just restart from scratch and re-enter my schematic into Quartus 16 setup for my new MAX 10 device? 

Thanks in advance with this task I am about to step into. 

Keith
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Multiple versions of Quartus can be installed alongside each other and, indeed, run at the same time (I currently have and use various versions from 12 to 15). So, it certainly won't "do something with my working/existing Quartus 9.0". 

However, Q16 will overwrite various elements of any project you open that's been created in an earlier version of Quartus. So, providing you have a copy of the project backed up you should be fine. 

Q16 will also want to update any IP you've used in any project. Various bits of IP, available in Q9, will no longer be supported in Q16. So, that may catch you out. However if you're intending to move to MAX 10 then you likely to have to re-visit any IP you've used anyway. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Alex. 

Not sure how or what the IP works with PLD designs. I know what IP is, but I haven't seen a good clear definition of how it is tied into PLDs/FPGAs. I just thought that you could "LOCK" the device from being read so that was enough. My design is very simple. Some Logic, a counter(LPM), priority-decoder and encoder, and a 25x16 FIFO(LPM). I was going to change the FIFO to a 73X64, which is too big for the current MAX-II and was wanting to see if I could get it to fit into the MAX-10 device. Also wanted to keep it in a simple package that I can solder/breadboard myself. The EQFP package is easy for my to work with, but a BGA is not.... 

Anyway, thanks for your support. 

Keith
0 Kudos