Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Multiple Nios in Max 10

PGigl
Partner

The design has two Nios processors and hence two Hex files for the processors code.  How do you merge the two Hex files and the SOF into a POF. The tools only seem to allow one hex file! ​

0 Kudos
15 Replies
PGigl
Partner

​Do any of these walk through the process of creating the Pof using 2 hex files?  I tried to open the user guides on a couple of these, but the links seem to be broken! Can you provide a link to a user guide that shows how to do this?

0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​ALso,  I am not looking for dual boot-  I am looking at dual processors!! The only one that looks close is the dual-core-nios-ii-project-with-protected-memory-regions.  I looked at the manual for this and it does not show how to make the final programming image with the two hex files.  The just program the FPGA with the base fpga image and then run the debugger. There is no mention of making the POF file with the two elf/hex files.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The MAX 10 design example (Dual boot) is using a POF that has two Hex file. please have a look on it and let me know how can I help you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​I assume you are talking about the first example - https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/16.0.0/Standard/dual-boot-design-example-max10-de10-lite/

When I go here, and click on the document, Dual Boot User Guide for DE10Lite Board the link is broken.  I downloaded the example design and looked through the files, but cannot find any documents.  Please point me to the document that shows how to accomplish merging two Hex files and the SOF into a POF.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I apologize to inform you that these documents been removed, but you still can download the design files and use them as a starting point. Please let me know how can I help you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​I do not need at starting point, I already have a design.  I need the steps required to complete the design.  Can Intel please provide a document containing  the steps required to create a POF from an SOF and two hex files, as generated from a dual processor design?

0 Kudos
PGigl
Partner

​I still need to procedure for merging the SOF and two hex files. Please point me to the  solution.

0 Kudos
JD0
Beginner

Hello, please, I have the same problem, two NIOS (two .hex files, one .sof file). What should I do to merge this two .hex files into one .hex??

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The question here is "Are these two NIOS processors working separately?" If yes so there is no problem just include the two hex files and make sure you point to the correct address in the NIOS vectors, If you need to control there boot please follow the following multi-core nios example:

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/17.0.0/Standard/multi-core-nios-ii-processors-reference-design-based-on-arria-10-soc-development-board/

This example uses a main processor to boot another three processors. This is very clear in this example how to boot NIOS II processor and to copy the code to it's memory.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The question here is "Are these two NIOS processors working separately?" If yes so there is no problem just include the two hex files and make sure you point to the correct address in the NIOS vectors, If you need to control there boot please follow the following multi-core nios example:

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/17.0.0/Standard/multi-core-nios-ii-processors-reference-design-based-on-arria-10-soc-development-board/

This example uses a main processor to boot another three processors. This is very clear in this example how to boot NIOS II processor and to copy the code to it's memory.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JD0
Beginner

Hi, yes the NIOS processors are working separately. And we need procedure to merge two .hex files (NIOS1 and NIOS2) into one .hex file, because in tool Quartus -> Convert Programming File is no way to add more than one .hex file. When add two .hex, the Quartus crashing down, beacuse of adding more than one .hex file. Are you understand?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The tool can load more than one hex file with no issue, can you please help to check the tool installation and your windows? there are many examples you can find of using more than one hex files.

0 Kudos
JD0
Beginner

OK, so what does mean this Quartus Problem Report, when I add two .hex files?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

The quartus problem report shows all the errors and warnings after compilation. Please follow the shared examples and let me know.

0 Kudos