Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Multiple USB Blasters per Host PC failure

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good afternoon,

I am currently using an FPGA MiniCluster (4 Gidel ProceV boards with StratixV FPGA) with OpenCL. The boards are connected through PCIe and each board has a dedicated USB Blaster. According to the board manufacturer, the FPGAs are configured with the USB Blasters on the first programming after the Host boots up. From then on, the reconfiguration is performed through CvP.

When programming any FPGA with more than one USB Blaster connected, the host machine enters an unresponsive state and has to be manually rebooted. However, when programming the FPGA connected to the USB Blaster identified as 1) by jtagconfig the programming succeeds.

Analyzing the output I noticed that regardless of the USB ports or FPGAs that are connected to each Blaster, the OpenCL SDK always issues the same programming command, choosing the first USB Blaster (as seen by jtagconfig).

Code:

Using AOCX: hello_world.aocx

MMD INFO : [acl3] failed to program the device through CvP.

MMD INFO : executing "quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o "P;reprogram_temp.sof@1""

Info: Command: quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o P;reprogram_temp.sof@1

Info (213045): Using programming cable "USB-Blaster [3-1]"

This leads me believe that OpenCL SDK doesn´t correctly translate the FPGA identifier (acl[0..3]) to the USB Blaster to which it is connected.

Is there any way to instruct the SDK to use the correct USB Blasters for each FPGA?

see attached for outputs

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Good afternoon, 

I am currently using an FPGA MiniCluster (4 Gidel ProceV boards with StratixV FPGA) with OpenCL. 

--- Quote End ---  

Good afternoon, colleague. 

I have the same board. But there is no pins information. Can you help me with this information? 

Or any screenshot of your project with the maximum number of pins and their name 

I would be very grateful.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Good afternoon, colleague. 

I have the same board. But there is no pins information. Can you help me with this information? 

Or any screenshot of your project with the maximum number of pins and their name 

I would be very grateful. 

--- Quote End ---  

Please do not repost your request in multiple threads. If you need pin information, contact your board manufacturer. This forum is for discussing matters related to Altera's OpenCL SDK.
0 Kudos