Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

NIOS 2 First steps

Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi,

now as the tool chain is in place I tried to follow AN-717, but there is no NIOS 2 IP in my catalog.

I use Quartus Prime Lite V20.1, on Windows.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi,

What is done for now:

I installed Quartus Prime Lite 20.1.1 and do a sample procect, 'Blinky'. I get also the simulation running and all looks fine.

I started a project for my own, using ATLPLL and some counters, ffs and somthing like this. Works out.

I search a lot to find a way to get the NIOS 2 tool chain (Eclipse) running. OK, starts, no idea if it works.

I try to find a tutorial and end up at AN-717. Great stuff, but I should add a NIOS II core from my IP catalog, but there is no !!!!

Whats wrong now?

I have another machine I installed Quartus some days ago, here without the NIOS 2 tool chain and no eclipse and same problem.

==> the installation of the NIOS 2 tool chain isn't the problem.

So whar can I do now?

Se my IP catalog here:

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gerhard56,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well, apologies for the delayed in response.
Apologies for the inconvenient face,on the up catalog shows it that in the quartus tool?
And for the user guide AN717, you are referring to steps 1.5.5.3?

For that steps you will be able to find the NIOS II core in the Platform designer ip catalog.
Please do let me know if I misunderstand the your situation.

Warm regards.
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gerhard56,

Hope this message find you well, by any chances did you managed to look into the clarification above?

Warm regards

BB

0 Kudos
Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi BB,

yes I am well. Get my vaxins first round, hope I win.

I get the problems solved, I have now a running logic on my FPGA and currently try to control it with the help of an NIOS 2. The NIOS 2 hardware part is done, I had recently troubles to get it running, but this was my mistake.

Now I try to get FreeRTOS running on the soft core, and this isn't that easy. The Eclipse tool and the other tools involved are totally new for me (normally using Visual Studio or Atmel Studio) and than the WSL (Windows subsystem for Linux) ...

It is no fun.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Gerhard56,

Good to know that you had the first round of vaccination and please stay strong.
On the other hand glad to hear that problem has been solved and you are able to run the logic in board.
Totally understand there is no easy task in switching in between development tools and I think you are doing great. With that as there is no further queries, we would be closing the thread.
Please do post a response in the next 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Warm Regards
BB

0 Kudos
Gerhard56
New Contributor I

Hi,

so, I have implemented the first version of my hardware, I also implemented a NIOS MCU to control everything and I get FreeRTOS running. I wrote a little program to have a command line interface which I use to set parameters for my hardware (PWM generator, special one).

I have to fire up the power stage now, which I can do with the first implementation of the FPGA stuff, when this is donw I will fine tune the software and extend the hardware (inside the FPGA).

With best regards

Gerhard

PS: Happy to be able to post again after a nasty malfunction of my Intel account.

0 Kudos