Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

NIOS 2 custom instruction including Partition Database File (.qdb)

Mahdi
New Contributor I

Hi, 

I am creating a custom instruction in Platform Designer as a new component. My question is if I can add .qdb files as a part of component files? Or, I am allowed to only add HDL files?

My custom instruction includes some Verilog code, and in one Verilog code, I instantiated a Black-box module that only has inputs and output. This BlackBox module will get its definition from a .qdb file that is a final snapshot. 

Is it possible to have such custom instruction?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Mahdi,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum, hope this message find you well.
Per my understanding, you only need to specify the synthesis HDL files for your custom instruction. (only allowed)
Interesting design you have, would recommend to add the HDL and try compile the design.

Best Wishes
BB

Mahdi
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I was able to compile the design at the end. What I did for my issue was to add only the blackbox module into the custom instruction, and then, after analyzing and synthesizing the design, I manually add the .qdb file to that specific blackbox module. Fortunately, this method worked and I can see that the .qdb file exists in the chip planner. 

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Mahdi,

Good to know that you managed to compiled and sharing the finding on the community.
If you have new queries, please feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts, and we would be right with you.
This thread will be transitioned to community support which will further help you with doubts in this thread.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos