Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

Native Phy Transceiver rx_cdr_refclk from PLL

OLevy1
Beginner

hi,

in one of me designs i would like to use 2 Native Phy Transceivers to receive 2 different serial information.

one of the Native Phy Transceivers rx_ref_clk is from a dedicated pin BUT the other Native Phy Transceivers rx_cdr_refclk should be from one of the design PLLs.

the first Native Phy Transceiver (the one that gets the rx_cdr_refclk from a dedicated pin) recovered clock is going into one of the PLLs in the design and the output clock of this PLL should be the rx_cdr_refclk of the other Native Phy Transceivers. it worked just fine with the ArriaV, But now working with Arria 10 i am getting Fitting errors. should i change the PLL Type/ Mode.... or maybe there is another solution (i am trying to avoid sending this PLL output clock to output PIN and looping it back to a INPUT Pin).

thanks,

Oren

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OLevy1
Beginner

i get the following fitting error:

Error (11192): Input port "REF_IQCLK[0]" of "HSSI_PMA_CDR_REFCLK_SELECT_MUX" cannot connect to PLD port "OUTCLK[0]" of "IOPLL" for atom "crm:crm_inst|pll_311_622:pll_311_622_dn_sfp_based_clks|pll_311_622_altera_iopll_161_dytpzvi:iopll_0|altera_iopll:altera_iopll_i|twentynm_iopll_ip:twentynm_pll|iopll_inst".

Extra Info (13133): Output port's "OUTCLK[0]" atom name is "crm:crm_inst|pll_311_622:pll_311_622_dn_sfp_based_clks|pll_311_622_altera_iopll_161_dytpzvi:iopll_0|altera_iopll:altera_iopll_i|twentynm_iopll_ip:twentynm_pll|iopll_inst".

Extra Info (13134): Input port's "REF_IQCLK[0]" atom name is "native_phy_trans_duplex:up_native_phy_trans_duplex_inst|native_phy_trans_duplex_altera_xcvr_native_a10_161_b2nqdiy:xcvr_native_a10_0|twentynm_xcvr_native:g_xcvr_native_insts[0].twentynm_xcvr_native_inst|twentynm_xcvr_native_rev_20nm4:twentynm_xcvr_native_inst|twentynm_pma_rev_20nm4:inst_twentynm_pma|gen_twentynm_hssi_pma_cdr_refclk_select_mux.inst_twentynm_hssi_pma_cdr_refclk_select_mux".

Extra Info (12879): Input port "REF_IQCLK[0]" of "HSSI_PMA_CDR_REFCLK_SELECT_MUX" can connect to:

Extra Info (12880):   Port "O_REFCLK_A[0]" of "HSSI_REFCLK_DIVIDER"

please advice,

thanks,

Oren

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you observe some issue when trying to use IO PLL to drive the CDR refclk of Native PHY in A10 devices. For your information, as I check with the A10 XCVR PHY user guide, seems like it does not list out PLL as a refclk source to the XCVR. Just to add on that generally it is recommended to use dedicated refclk for optimal performance.

As a workaround, you may try one of the following to see if they will work:

1. Instead of using IOPLL, try to use fPLL to drive the CDR refclk to see if it work.

2. Route the PLL output clock to Global Clock network and then connect back to the CDR refclk. You may use ALTCLKCTRL to force the PLL output clock to GCLK to see if it work.

If none of the above is working, you might need to sending the PLL output clock to output pin, go through clock cleaner and then loop back to CDR refclk.

Thank you.

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

As i am looking for optimal performances i will send the PLL output clock and loop it back to CDR refclk.

Oren

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, You are welcome. By the way, you may also look into the external clock cleaner to clean up the PLL output clock before loop back to CDR refclk. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner

Hi,

is this some kind of IP? should i use it in the design before sending it out? i know there are HW modules that clean the Jitter.

Oren

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, Sorry if there is any confusion. The clock cleaner that I am referring is the hardware modules on board that clean jitter. It is not a IP. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner

ok,

thanks a lot.

Oren

0 Kudos