Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15481 Discussions

Need SPI core variant advice - Altera FPGA development kit '3-wire DAC'

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to write to the 3 pin SPI DAC on Intel Max10 FPGA Development Kit from C using NIOS soft processor. 

There are several SPI IP varieties to choose from in Platform Designer.  

I'm not sure which SPI variant to choose and i'm not able to find a demo or documents/videos on this subject.  

The DAC is the three pin SPI DAC, so I expect that the best choice is the 'SPI-(3 wire Serial)', but I would like to confirm this. Is this the logical choice? 

What do you use most often? Example of typical code? Thanks for your help. 

Bob
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have successfully used SPI (3 Wire Serial) to drive slow ADCs and DACs with both NIOSII/C program and HPS/Linux. 

depending on your dac type you can have different code. Mine was simple: 

int DACSetVoltage(float V, int DACnr) { int value = DACVoltage2Bit(V); // this is my function that converts float value to binary corresponding to DAC type and reference voltage used. alt_u8 array; array = value>>8; array = value & 0xff; return alt_avalon_spi_command(DAC_SPI_BASE, DACnr, 2, array, 0, 0, 0); }
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have successfully used SPI (3 Wire Serial) to drive slow ADCs and DACs with both NIOSII/C program and HPS/Linux. 

depending on your dac type you can have different code. Mine was simple: 

int DACSetVoltage(float V, int DACnr) { int value = DACVoltage2Bit(V); // this is my function that converts float value to binary corresponding to DAC type and reference voltage used. alt_u8 array; array = value>>8; array = value & 0xff; return alt_avalon_spi_command(DAC_SPI_BASE, DACnr, 2, array, 0, 0, 0); } 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, settem. Which core are you using, and if you don't mind, what is the DAC part number? I may be able to figure something out from that much.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also - When hooking up an SPI DAC to Altera FPGA, is it most common to use the DAC as master? and use a SPI slave core IP in Platform Designer? Thanks for your help.