Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

No EPCS Registers Found

Sorry for the length, here is some background. 

I have built different custom boards with a Cyclone III in Quartus 12.1 sp1 and all worked perfectly. It included a Serial Flash (Micron 25P16) for booting the HW from and a CFI chip (Micron M29W160) on a tri-state with some SRAM for booting the SW from. The CFI chip had a reset vector of 0x00 and the SRAM was set up as the exception vector. This was in a Nios II processor from quartus 12.1 sp1. From the NIOS II command shell, I would convert the sof to flash and program the Serial Flash with the HW codesof2flash --epcs --input=xxx.sof --output=xxx.flash 

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0x00602000 xxx.flash 

then I would convert the elf to flash and program the CFI with the nios SW codeelf2flash --base=0x00000000 --end=0x00200000 --reset=0x0 --input=xxx.elf --output=xxx_cfi.flash --boot="C:/altera/12.1sp1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec"  

nios2-flash-programmer --base=0x00000000 --override=flash-override.txt --width=8 xxx_cfi.flash" --debug --erase-all 

This all worked wonderfully. 

Now I designed a board with a Cyclone V in Quartus 15.1 with a Serial Flash (Micron 25P64) for booting the HW from and a CFI chip (cypress S29GL064) on a tri-state with some SRAM for booting the SW from. I set up the reset and exception vectors the same as before. I have tried both the new Nios II processor and the classic version and I have tried both the new EPCS controller and the legacy EPCS controller. I saw a thread that said to use the Nios II/f and I am using that but I can not get it to work from the NIOS II command shell. when I perform a nios2-configure-sof, it loads the sof and runs it. When I check with a jtagconfig -n, it shows a nios system running. From the NIOS II command shell, I would convert the sof to flash and program the Serial Flash with the HW code just as before with different base address. 

sof2flash --epcs --input=xxx.sof --output=xxx.flash 

nios2-flash-programmer --epcs --base=0x01000000 xxx.flash 

then I would convert the elf to flash and program the CFI with the nios SW code with different size CFI flash. 

elf2flash --base=0x00000000 --end=0x0x00800000 --reset=0x0 --input=xxx.elf --output=xxx_cfi.flash --boot="C:/altera/15.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec" 

nios2-flash-programmer --base=0x00000000 --override=flash-override.txt --width=8 xxx_cfi.flash" --debug --erase-all 

The programming of the serial flash, says it can not find the EPCS registers and I have confirmed that the base address is correct. The programming of the CFI with the SW says there is no CFI table either. I created a flash-override.txt but I don't know if it is correct for the cypress S29GL064. I ran a --debug and saw a bunch of info for the CFI but I am not sure what it all means. This is what I wrote for the override file from what i got from the datasheet.  

[FLASH-98-98]# keyword FLASH followed by manufacturer ID and Device ID# These ID values can be found in three ways:# - by consulting the flash memory device's data sheet.# - by using the "autoselect" command# - by running nios2-flash-programmer --debug  

CFI[0x20] = 0x51 

CFI[0x22] = 0x52 

CFI[0x24] = 0x59 

CFI[0x26] = 0x02 

CFI[0x28] = 0x00 

CFI[0x2A] = 0x40 

CFI[0x2C] = 0x00 

CFI[0x2E] = 0x00 

CFI[0x30] = 0x00 

CFI[0x32] = 0x00 

CFI[0x34] = 0x00 

However, it doesn't seem to work. is it the same issue in the nios command shell for programming the cfi as i am having for the programming of the serial flash?  

I tried creating a .jic file of the sof and use quartus programmer, the HW code loads into the serial flash and a power cycle will boot into the HW code. why will the loading of the hw code not work from the nios command shell but it will from quartus programmer? 

I tried creating a .hex file of the xxx_cfi.flash after it was converted from the xxx.elf file. I then tried converting that to a .jic and using the quartus programmer with a CFI_64Mb attached to my Cyclone V and programming it but it locks up quartus every time. I am at a loss and need help.
0 Kudos
0 Replies