Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

No reports generated and can't assign pins in Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just downloaded and installed the web edition of Quartus. 

Created a projected and compiled an existing design done previously with Max Plus. 

OK it seems to compile without any errors but I can't view any reports and the floor plan editor doesn't show any unassigned pins so I can't assign anything. 

I'm using an EPM3256ATC144 part. 

Any ideas ? 

regards 

david
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can anyone help ? 

What do I have to do to get some assistance here ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You may want to give us more details. What do you mean by you cannot see any reports. Are you compiling using the GUI? Didn't the report windows show up automatically? Which version are you using? Maybe you can attach a screen shot. 

For location assignments, you can go to the Assignment Editor or the Pin Planner. Again, your question is unclear, so you need to give us details if you want more help. 

DK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK this is what I have done. 

I have downloaded and installed the latest Quartus V10.0 SP1 Web Edition. 

I have created a project in Quartus using an AHDL file that compiles successfully under MAX PLUS. 

Then I start a compilation ie Processing -> Start Compilation and then says "full compilation was successful". See the screen grab below.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Sorry but there is no additional detail in your reply. What are you doing in Quartus? Are you compiling in command-line, using the GUI. How are you creating the project (maybe you can attach the QSF file). Quartus will give you an error if there is something wrong. What's the error? And you still have not giving us the Version. By SP1, do you mean V10.0sp1? 

Once you give us details, I am sure somebody will be able to help you. 

-David
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it is V10.0sp1 

The other thing that is not clear from the screen grab is the message box which says the following. 

Info: You have a valid up-to-date license Info: You have a valid up-to-date license Info: You have a valid up-to-date license Info: You have a valid up-to-date license Info: Quartus II Full Compilation was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings  

Also the Compilation report says "data not available"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, this is very unusual.  

Can you try exiting Quartus and going to the command-line console (Windows CMD), and trying from the comman-line: 

quartus_map <your project name> (The project name should be the name of the QSF file) 

Did quartus_map generate a <project name>.map.rpt file? Did it generate a "db" directory? What's in the "db" directory?  

Can you confirm you have enough disk space and that your directory is writable? 

-DK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also doing a search someone else had a similar problem to mine.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ok, this is very unusual.  

Can you try exiting Quartus and going to the command-line console (Windows CMD), and trying from the comman-line: 

quartus_map <your project name> (The project name should be the name of the QSF file) 

Did quartus_map generate a <project name>.map.rpt file? Did it generate a "db" directory? What's in the "db" directory?  

Can you confirm you have enough disk space and that your directory is writable? 

-DK 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes I did that and it comes back with the following in green text 

"Info: You have a valid up_to_date license" 

There is no rpt file either and the db directory was already there. 

Maybe I should reinstall it ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is post 7. I need 10 posts to send PM's.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is post 9. I need 10 posts to send PM's.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is post 10. I need 10 posts to send PM's.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same issue, and it appears to be an installation specific problem. 

I cannot get Quartus10.0, or Quartus10.0 SP1, to run on my work XP machine (call this machine XPSystem1). I have Quartus 10 installed on two other XP machines and it runs fine. The history of the three machines is as follows: 

XPSystem1 - Ran Quartus 9.1 sp1 properly 

Uninstalled Quartus 9.1 sp1, installed Quartus 9.2 SP2 

Ran Quartus 9.2 sp2 properly 

Installed Quartus 10.0 is a separate directory 

Quartus 9.2 sp2 would compile projects, Quartus 10.0 would not compile. 

Uninstalled Quartus 10.0, installed Quartus 10.0 sp1. 

Quartus 9.2 sp2 would compile projects, Quartus 10.0 sp1 would not compile. 

Uninstalled Quartus 9.2 sp2 and 10.0 sp1. Reinstalled Quartus 10.0 sp1 

Quartus 10.0 sp1 will not compile projects 

Uninstalled Quartus 10.0 sp1, and removed all registry entries containing 

Quartus information, or CygWin links to it. Reinstalled Quartus 10.0 sp1 

Quartus 10.0 sp1 will not compile projects 

XPSystem2 - Ran Quartus 9.1 sp1 properly 

Uninstalled Quartus 9.2 sp2. Installed Quartus 10.0 sp1 

Quartus 10.0 sp1 runs properly 

XPSystem3 - Ran Quartus 9.1 sp1 properly 

Uninstalled Quartus 9.2 sp2. Installed Quartus 10.0 sp1 

Quartus 10.0 sp1 runs properly 

All machines are running the identical project. XPSystem1 fails to compile anything, and generates no errors or reports. I simply reports: 

Info: You have a valid up-to-date license 

Info: Quartus II Full Compilation was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings 

This entire process only takes 20 seconds, where the entire compile 

takes 10-15 minutes on the other machines. 

Running the Altera sample project "fir_filter" in the qdesigns directory, 

the results and timing are identical. Only 2 files are ceated in the 

sample directory, type .qdf and .done. THere are no reports or summary 

or compiled files. The db directory is created, but only gets 4 skeleton 

files type .info,.sci,.qmsg, and .tmw_info. 

Any help on what to try would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

All machines are running the identical project. XPSystem1 fails to compile anything, and generates no errors or reports. I simply reports: 

Info: Quartus II Full Compilation was successful. 0 errors, 0 warnings 

This entire process only takes 20 seconds, where the entire compile 

takes 10-15 minutes on the other machines. 

Running the Altera sample project "fir_filter" in the qdesigns directory, 

the results and timing are identical. Only 2 files are ceated in the 

sample directory, type .qdf and .done. THere are no reports or summary 

or compiled files. The db directory is created, but only gets 4 skeleton 

files type .info,.sci,.qmsg, and .tmw_info. 

Any help on what to try would be appreciated. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Frank, 

I gave up in the end. Like you said maybe it will work on another computer but its not a good result for a free version of software. 

Also why is this software so large ?? 3 Gigs !! 

Compared to MaxPlus it is massive !! 

And what on earth are they using Cygwin for ? 

Has this software been developed for Unix and ported across to Windows ?? 

regards 

david
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After 3 weeks of tech support, I've given up and gone back to running Quarus 9.1 SP2, which appears to be more stable. The best gues appears to be some problems with conflict with HP PCL6 print spoolers if you have the wrong HP drivers are installed. I ran Quatus using the Visual C++ 2008 debugger, and found: 

My working Quartus 10 installation generated numerous first chance exceptions of the form: 

First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in quartus.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: long at memory location 0x0012ccd8.. 

First-chance exception at 0x7c812afb in quartus.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: CExceptSetLastErr at memory location 0x0012ccbc. 

My non-working Quartus 10 installation reported loading and unloading of HP PCL6 print spool drivers here (Why? I don't understand) 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\HPBAFD32.DLL', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\HPBAFD32.DLL' 

Quartus 9 does neither of these things. Best guess, is that Quartus QT package gets confused about linking up some spooler requirements, and this process needs to fail, or the command/report pipeline gets disrupted. This could be why Quartus cannot capture any reports or output from the modules. Speculation at best...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FrankAtEsi, 

You previously said that you were able to install in two other XP systems. Can you confirm that you do not have the "HP PCL6 print spool drivers" running? 

And have you try disabling this driver to see if Quartus works? It seems like Qt has some problems with Printer drivers. It will be nice to confirm that this is the issue. 

Thanks, 

- David 

Altera
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To check if the HP print spool drivers were the cause of the failure to compile, I uninstalled the HP Laserjet 1200 networked printer drivers from my XP machine. These require the PCL 6 drivers that the Quartus package was loading. In comparison, here are the DLLs and threads when Quartus 10 is run with the HPLaserjet printer drivers installed: 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\resr_rpwq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\ccl_gd.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\ccl_png.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\gcl_cglq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\gcl_gtoq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\QtWebKit4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\phonon4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\QtXmlPatterns4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\HPBAFD32.DLL', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2\HPBAFD32.DLL' 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xfac) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x818) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x8a4) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x5a0) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wdmaud.drv' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wintrust.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\imagehlp.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msacm32.drv' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msacm32.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\midimap.dll' 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xa88) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xb20) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xf3c) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xf2c) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x948) has exited with code 0 (0x0) 

With the HP Laserjet Drivers uninstalled, I get: 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\resr_rpwq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\ccl_gd.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\ccl_png.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\gcl_cglq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\gcl_gtoq.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\QtWebKit4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\phonon4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'D:\CAD\altera10\10.0sp1\quartus\bin\QtXmlPatterns4.dll', Binary was not built with debug information. 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xb40) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xd74) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xfa8) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xa90) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wdmaud.drv' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wintrust.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\imagehlp.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msacm32.drv' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msacm32.dll' 

'quartus.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\midimap.dll' 

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xa6c) has exited with code 0 (0x0). 

However, the result is the same in both cases. There are no reports or output generated. Each module just reports "You have a valid up-to-date license" and it reports compile successful with no errors in a very short period of time.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have this problem also and have not found a solution. In my situation, Quartus II 8.0 Web Edition does not work on Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. 

I've recently acquired a NIOS Embedded Evaluation Kit (NEEK) and installed the Quartus version from the packaged DVD. I am following the "my_first_fpga_tutorial.pdf" included in the kit and when I try to create the pin assignments, the Pin Planner does not produce any input/output pins I've created earlier. 

Thank You, 

Jason
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to install Quartus II 9.0sp2 Web Edition and this problem disappeared. At this moment, I am downloading the most up-to-date version of Quartus, Quartus 10.0sp1. I will also try that version and post my progress here.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II 10.0sp1 Web Edition works as expected.

0 Kudos