Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Older Quartus versions

Morten2000
New Contributor I

Hi

My company has used Quartus 16.1 on Windows for many years and all projects are written in 16.1.

I now has to switch computer and install Quartus, but as I understand it 16.1 is no longer available.

I tried to install 21.1, but I can't get Nios/Eclipse to work.  I keep getting errors about 'uname is not recognized as an internal command'.

I tried to follow different support tickets and installed WLS, Ubuntu etc. but nothing seems to work.

Are there anywhere a step-by-step guide for installing Quartus/Eclipse on a windows machine?

At what version did Quartus start using the uname command? I might then be able to use version 18 or 19 instead.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Morten,

Below forum seem related to your issue. Let me know if the workaround is not applicable. Few discussion on there which to me might be helpful.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/New-application-creation-failure-in-NIOS-II-Quartus20-1/td-p/1204914

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

I have tried to follow the ticket, but no luck.

Is there anywhere a list of "things" that needs to be installed to get Quartus to work.

So far I installed Quartus, WSL1, Ubuntu, MinGW, Cygwin... But I can't see if that is enough or if I need some other programs. I guess I do as I don't have a UNAME command that I can use.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

'uname' is a unix/linux command:

[9] uname
Linux
~[10] uname -a
Linux miniitx 4.4.0-234-generic #268-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 21 17:46:47 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cygwin has it too:

~[501] uname
CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19045
~[502] uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19045 lenovoS30w10 3.3.6-341.x86_64 2022-09-05 11:15 UTC x86_64 Cygwin

But it is not a Windows command:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.2193]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>uname
'uname' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Morten,

To check whether you did the right thing on installing wsl, you can simply launch nios 2 command shell and see if it is able to launch, normally unsuccessful installation for wsl, you cannot invoke nios cmd shell or will ask you to install wsl.

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

I have no problem launching the Nios 2 command shell. So I guess WSL is installed correctly.

Should I somehow configure Eclipse/NIOS2 to use WSL when compiling? Or should that happen automatically?

It seems it doesn't do that when it doesn't know UNAME. Because through NIOS 2 command shell I can write uname and it returns Linux.

So why isn't Eclipse using Nios 2 command shell?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hello,

I send something to your email. Please check it.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Morten,

As discussed last call, let me know if reinstall wsl and ubuntu package resolve the issue

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

Hi SuafieqS,

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem reinstalling WSL and Ubuntu packages.

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

I can see that running nios2-bsp-create-settings in the command shell fails.

I remember reading that I need to add .exe to the command, but where should this be done? I can't find any files that actually calls nios2-bsp-create-settings.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hello Morten,

You may specify the "nios2-bsp-create-settings.exe" in Nios II Command Shell that should solve the issue as below forum

https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/New-application-creation-failure-in-NIOS-II-Quartus20-1/td-p/1204914

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have followed that instructions several times without any luck.

I have my project and I can generate the BSP both from inside Eclipse and from the NIOS II command line.

Morten2000_0-1668675771376.png

When I try to build my application I get:

Morten2000_1-1668675921958.png

Any ideas?

Is it easier to get it working on a Ubuntu machine or is that just as complicated?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Morten,

Is it easier to get it working on a Ubuntu machine or is that just as complicated?

- Yes as you do not require WSL and its package. You may use Ubuntu for the workaround. Let me know if that is not possible

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hello Morten,

May I know if there is any update from my previous reply?

Is it feasible to use Ubuntu instead and does it resolve your issue?

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

I have tried to install Quartus and Eclipse on Ubuntu.

Quartus is running fine, but Eclipse crashes every time I try to open it. I have tried to open it through Quartus, from command promt and from NIOS command prompt, but all of them fails.

I will try some more, but most likely I just need to use Quartus 18.1.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Understood. Let me know any update on that

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Morten,

Let me know any update on 18.1 Ubuntu status. Did you manage to pass the flow in NIOS BSP?

0 Kudos
Morten2000
New Contributor I

I just use Quartus 18.1 on a Windows PC. That is easy to get working.

I hope Quartus makes it easier to get it running with WSL before they retire v18.1.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 10/10 survey