Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

OpenCL channels connections to the kernel IO MIA.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am adding read and write channels to OpenCL code and I see that they are correctly instantiated in <kernel>_system.v SV file, but there is no connection to the I/O. I am using a10_ref design as a baseline and have added the following to my board_spec.xml file: 

<channels> 

<interface name="data_port" port="data_out" type="streamsink" width="32" chan_id="data0_in"/> 

<interface name="data_port" port="data_in" type="streamsource" width="32" chan_id="data0_out"/> 

</channels> 

In OpenCL code I declare these as IO channels: 

# pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_intel_channels : enable 

channel float DATA_IN __attribute__((depth(0))) 

__attribute__((io("data0_in"))); 

channel float DATA_OUT __attribute__((depth(0))) 

__attribute__((io("data0_out"))); 

float data_read = read_channel_intel(DATA_IN); 

float data_to_send = test_value; 

write_channel_intel(DATA_OUT,data_to_send); 

One would expect these channels to be brought up to at least <kernel>_system.v SV file IO, but this is not so. The <kernel>_system instance has correct Avalon-ST sink and sources but they are "bolted up" to bit width translators and then trail ends.  

If someone has done this, and I know some of you have, you know whom I am talking about: OpenCL certified board vendors; please share the knowledge. 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
FSamb
Novice

Hi, you will have to implement some logic in your BSP to route your data from your channel to the target IO (during write) and from IO to your channel (during read).

0 Kudos