Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Pin Planner Bug - has it been fixed yet?

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

The thing that annoys me the most about Quartus is the Pin Planner. It is already a slow tedious process of manually selecting pins with a mouse using the drop-down list but the most annoying thing of all is when this bug kicks in and it overwrites what you have painstakingly selected:

SparkyNZ_0-1600470706274.png

See  above - I assigned sd_A[7] at the bottom of the list and then PIN_33 became assigned to 5 of the pins I had already selected.

This is the second time this has happened to me in the past 5 minutes and I am about to start hacking files manually to avoid this happening again.

I'm using Quartus II Version 14 Build 186 Web Edition. Does anybody know if this has been fixed in one of the later versions? I started with Version 10 and it has been around since then.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan

i see, in that case, we will close thread. You can open a new thread once you have time to work on it. Is that fine?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kenny_Tan

I check in the KDB database,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=text#q=pin%20planner&t=Developers

It does not seems to be a known issue.

Is that possible for you to upgrade to the latest Quartus release 20.1lite/std? What device that you were using?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I don't think I've ever seen this, but you could just double-click (or maybe triple-click because double-click brings up the pop-up list) the Location field and type in the pin number instead of using the pop-up lists.

SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

I didn't realise you could triple click I'll see how that behaves. I suspect it's when I click onto another row (after modifying the pin location) that things sometimes go wrong. But I really do need to try that latest Quartus version. Once I get my current project sorted, I'll take the plunge. Thanks

0 Kudos
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

I have installed the latest Quartus (version 20). May be a while before I use the pin planner again but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and update this thread with my findings.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Sure. let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Any update?

0 Kudos
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Sorry Kenny I haven't used to the Pin Planner in Quartus 20.x Lite yet and I probably won't be for a while.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

i see, in that case, we will close thread. You can open a new thread once you have time to work on it. Is that fine?

0 Kudos
SparkyNZ
New Contributor II

Yes Kenny, that's absolutely fine.  There are definitely improvements in this new version

0 Kudos