Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Pin Planner: This is a read-only item

JBlac1
Beginner

I am a new to FPGA design, I am now playing a simple LED flow example. I am using Quartus 15.1 and Cyclone V.

I firstly write a verilog code and then go to setup the pins. In the Pin Planner, for a new Node, I give the name "dk_50M", then I try to set it to be as input. But when I click the "Direction", I get a pop-up "This is a read-only item".

My question is how to set this pin as input pin ?

Thanks!

Justin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You don't set I/O direction in the Pin Planner. The direction is based off your design. If you're trying to create I/O pins before you've actually created your design, you're limited in what you can do in the Pin Planner. Create your design, then run Analysis & Elaboration. You'll then be able to make I/O-related assignments for the top-level I/O in your design.

CalvinJoaz_P_Intel

Hi JBlac1,

Sstreal is correct! Need to have blackbox module or entity with ports or IO's declared. So that, you can see the direction's in the pin assignments.

Your design file is the input for the Pin Planner.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JBlac1
Beginner

Hi @sstrell​  and @Calvin Joazer​ ,

I see. Thank you very much for your replies!

Cheers,

Jike

0 Kudos