Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

Platform Designer - A10 PCIe SR-IOV Won't run at 8Gbps when SR-IOV is enabled.

RWitt
Beginner

Same core with SR-IOV disabled runs fine at the 8Gbps Gen3 speed. When SR-IOV is enabled (1 PF, no VFs, MSI-X enabled) we enumerate at 5Gbps - maximum. And the lspci-configuration-space status for Link-Status2 shows that the core did not complete the Equalization (none of the phases).

Why do we drop to 5Gbps when we enabled SR-IOV?

Added edit: FYI - this is a version 18.0 pcie_a10_hip core.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RWitt
Beginner

FYI - this is a version 18.0 pcie_a10_hip core.

Nathan_R_Intel
Employee

Hie,

I tested using Quartus Prime Pro v18.1. If "enable SR_IOV support" is enabled, the system messages releases an error if 1 PF is selected and no VF is used.

Could you check if assigning at least 1 VF allows the link to achieve PCIe Gen3x8.

I am suspecting the equalization registers (to enabled equalization adaptation  for Gen3 Rx) require at least 1 VF for the registers to be present in the PF.

Regards,

Nathan

RWitt
Beginner

My update 12/05/18 (pasted but edited from our other thread)

Having at least one VF when using the SR-IOV core should have nothing to do with link-speed, and I was successful building a core with 0-VFs (no error - I can't remember if it was the BARs that I needed to disable to get that error you get to go away - if I remember I'll post it).

Solution/Answer: I spent the day changing parameters and have found how to link at 8Gbps. In the "Parameters" settings tab, under the "PHY Characteristics" tab I first enabled the "Soft DFE" thinking that would help and it didn't (but I left it selected). I then checked the "Enable RX polarity inversion soft logic" box and enabled that. That was the answer, I successfully linked at 8Gbps. I then built again turning that polarity inversion off and I could only link at 5Gbps. So, there is something about the SR-IOV wrapper that makes the link bring-up different.

RWitt
Beginner

RWitt
Beginner

FYI - I can't reliably get my solution to work. Seems that even with the DFE and lane reversal I still can't get to 5Gbps when we do a PCIe 'remove', FPGA-reprogram, and PCIe 'rescan' on the PCIe bus. I get 8Gbps "every" time when using the HC with just Avalon-ST selected (non-SR-IOV). Only from a system re-boot (SuperMicro) can I get 8Gbps, during the reboot the link is brought down (though no PCIe resets are generated). Seems to be an issue with resets related to PLLs loosing lock, and when I program the device the device is not running through the transceiver start-up/equalization process. Maybe there are subtle differences in the Avalon-ST and Avalon-ST SR-IOV implementations. The signal I/O is certainly different, and the way we collect configuration and status is different between the two. Maybe there is something else we are missing for generating app-reset and feedback to the HIP. Anyone else seeing these issues????