Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Power analysis and assignment of I/O Pins

shriram_INTL
Employee

Hi 

For power analysis of my RTL code, I use Intel Quartus Prime Pro. I'm searching for help with parameters that determines the Power Analyzer.

So, could you please help me set up the parameters that define the power savings block?

I'd also like some help with the I/O Pin assignment.
Is there any example model that can show me how to assign smart I/O pins in both good and bad cases?

Thank you so much for reaching out in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Shriram,

Thank you for the clarification. However, Power Analyzer is to calculate the power consumption of the design, so the user can refer to which the highest power consumed by the design and work from that point to improve their design to get more power saving.

Additionally, you can refer to this forum thread where the user shares one technique to improve power saving for FPGA designs.

Power saving techniques for FPGA

You also can check this article What are the Power Saving values based on in the Cyclone V and Arria..

Regards,

Aqid

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello Shriram,

I hope you have a good day.

Can I know on the details what do you mean by the parameters that define the power savings block? On top of that, would you also explain on the good and bad cases meaning when u mentioned on the assigning smart I/O pins?

Regards,

Aqid Ayman

0 Kudos
shriram_INTL
Employee

Hello, Aqid.

With "what do you mean by the parameters that define the power savings block," I mean the Power Saving Summary in Quartus Prime Pro's compilation Report under the Power Analyzer section. Smart VID Power Savings and Power savings are shown here.

I'm wondering if there's a tuning option, such as a timing constraint, that can change the Power Saved statistic, or if it's all based on Verilog code.

Another point of view is Area vs. Power.
For example, I'm looking for I/O Pin assignment first, then erroneous I/O pins, because the number of pins (volts) versus area can result in better or lower power savings.

Thanks and best regards,

Shriram

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi Shriram,

Thank you for the clarification. However, Power Analyzer is to calculate the power consumption of the design, so the user can refer to which the highest power consumed by the design and work from that point to improve their design to get more power saving.

Additionally, you can refer to this forum thread where the user shares one technique to improve power saving for FPGA designs.

Power saving techniques for FPGA

You also can check this article What are the Power Saving values based on in the Cyclone V and Arria..

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
shriram_INTL
Employee

Thank you very much!! Your proposal is useful and it helped me in continue my investigation on my design.

best regards,

Shriram

0 Kudos