Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16545 Discussions

Preserving the hierarchy of the sub-modules in Quartus Prime

EPeet
Beginner

By default, Quartus flattens all the logic, which makes it difficult for me to apply ASIC constraints to it. What I need is to preserve the hierarchy of some sub-blocks, so it's interface remains intact and constraints can be applied to it.

In Quartus II there were three options for this (Preserve Hierarchical Boundary -> Off / Relaxed / Firm), how do I do this in Quartus Prime (version 17.1.0)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi EPeet

You can see here, for example in Quartus Prime manual (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/archives/qts-qps-handbook-16-1.pdf)

"16.3.1 Partitions for Preserving Hierarchical Boundaries" -

Note: The Preserve Hierarchical Boundary logic option is available only in Quartus Prime software versions 8.1 and earlier. Altera recommends using design partitions if you want to preserve hierarchical boundaries through the synthesis and fitting process, because incremental compilation maintains the hierarchical boundaries of design partitions. 

Hope that helps

Best regards,

Ivan

EPeet
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

thanks, I also already found out that I'll have to use the "Design Partitions" approach.

Tomas

0 Kudos