Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Prime Pro 19.1 and 19.4 -- IP Catalog -- Invoking "Fixed Point Functions Intel FPGA IP", entering a name and clicking OK crashes.

GBraj
Beginner

I am targeting an Arria 10 device, I want to use the adder and the square root. After launching the IP and entering the name for saving, the application disappears. No warning or message. Tried on two machines, both Win 10 fully updated. ​ The main quartus window remains open. I can repeat this every time, both with quartus pro 19.1 and 19.4.

Can you replicate? If so, what is the fix?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Gabriel,

You have any license for the IP core? You can check the license status of all IP in an Intel Quartus Prime project in the link below. If you do not have it, refer to the same link for Intellectual Property (IP) Cores Licenses.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

Checking the IP License Status (p21)

Intellectual Property (IP) Cores Licenses (p29).

Best Regards,

Syafieq

0 Kudos
GBraj
Beginner

I cannot see the wanted IP core in the "assembler" window, because it shows only after the compilation. If I cannot instantiate at all the core (Fixed point functions), how is it possible to see it after the compilation? (p21)

However, I have a full license for the DSP cores and not only, I can see it in Tools->License setup. Currently I am using various Intel IP cores (10G Ethernet, CIC compiler, etc) without problems. It seems that the first steps of the IP generation are not performed.

Just for information, the IP "Floating Point Functions Intel FPGA IP" is working flawlessly both in 19.1 and 19.4

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Gabriele,

Could you provide screenshots and steps of how you were doing it until the part where you clicked "ok" then the application disappear. Can attach it with .zip file, let me investigate it on my side first.

Best Regards,

Syafieq

0 Kudos
GBraj
Beginner

Sure, here are the screenshots. Some explanations:

01 - opening of quartus 19.1

02 - opening my project

03 - selecting "Fixed point functions Intel FPGA IP" and clicking "Add..."

04 - IP parameter editor is loading

05 - Platform designer is loading

06 - Giving a new name to the IP variant and clicking "Create"

07 - After clicking "Create", the Platform Designer window shuts down, leaving only the main window of Quartus. No files/folders related to IP have been created.

I can reproduce this also in Quartus 19.4

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Gabriele,

By the mean time I try to replicate you issue, just want to know is there any IP core generation output in you project directory? if there is, could you share with me the .rpt file (IP generation report)

Best Regards,

Syafieq

0 Kudos
GBraj
Beginner

Hi Syafieq,

unfortunately no .rpt file related to the Fixed Point Functions IP has been generated in my project directory. I have the others .rpt files related to the other IP cores that I'm using.

If helps, I found this closed topic https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004MvmSlSAJ/in-prime-pro-191-ip-catalog-invoking-fixed-point-functions-intel-fpga-ip-entering-a-name-and-clicking-ok-crashes?language=en_US with the same issue. It seems a bug related to the XML parser of Quartus Pro 19.1 and it was said that it will be fixed in 19.3.

However, I have the same behaviour in 19.4. Do you want that I install the 19.3 version and try the same steps?

Regards.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Gabriele,

Yes, you can try on your side first and let me know if it works.

Best Regards,

Syafieq

0 Kudos
GBraj
Beginner

Just tried on 19.3. No luck, same behaviour. No files (.rpt or anything else) generated.

The only messages that I can see are reported below:

Info(112000): Started d:/intelfpga_pro/19.3/quartus//sopc_builder/bin/ip-catalog.exe (3940) 

Info(112000): d:/intelfpga_pro/19.3/quartus//sopc_builder/bin/ip-catalog.exe (3940) terminated normally 

Info(112000): Started d:/intelfpga_pro/19.3/quartus/../qsys/bin/qsys-edit.exe (1804) 

Info(112000): d:/intelfpga_pro/19.3/quartus/../qsys/bin/qsys-edit.exe (1804) terminated normally 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Gabriele,

I tried to replicate the issue and got same result for Pro 19.1 and 19.4 where after click "create" for Fixed Function IP, the platform designer crashed. Tried for Floating Point and went well. I suspect the bug as per now where XML parser did not recognize the device still in progress. I will let you know once the bug is fixed.

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
GBraj
Beginner

It seems that in version 20.1 of Quartus Pro the bug has been fixed. However, due to other errors, I can't use it. Should I open new and separate threads in the forum per every issue? Thanks

0 Kudos